Second Skin Audio

paint?

dsw422

hey guys.. so ive built quite a few boxes now. the ones i have painted were painted with rustoleum oil based paint.. looks pretty good..

but now, i want to start using better paint.. so im wondering if any of you have used the Duplicolor Paint Shop products on your boxes?? http://www.summitracing.com/search/Product-Line/Dupli-Color-Paint-Shop-Finish-Systems/

i know many of you just rattle can or roll ur paint.. but id like to see who out there uses actual automotive paint..

id like to know how tough you thing this product is??

thanks guys

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

There was someone on here that make his boxes have basically a car finish on them.

He has a writeup on it on here too, just can't remember his user name at the moment.

TEAM FLEX ISSUES

Car: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal

24" Rims

HU: 7" Carputer, Planet Audio EQ, iPhone.

Coax: T3 Audio 4" speakers

Subs: 2x 18" T3 Audio TSNS (walled)

Sub Amp: DC 9k

SOON TO COME

T3 Audio 6x9s

MB Quarts 6.5" comp set

MAYBE ADDED

2nd DC 9k

Painting is 98% prep work. If you prep the surface right you can get really good results using rattle cans. If you don't prep right it won't matter what paint you use.

I've had really good luck using just regular interior latex paint. Its cheap, I can get any color I can imagine, its easy to clean up, and the fumes don't kill me. I have a turbine HVLP gun that I use to spray it, I have thin it down a lot, but I can't complain with the results.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Painting is 98% prep work. If you prep the surface right you can get really good results using rattle cans. If you don't prep right it won't matter what paint you use.

I've had really good luck using just regular interior latex paint. Its cheap, I can get any color I can imagine, its easy to clean up, and the fumes don't kill me. I have a turbine HVLP gun that I use to spray it, I have thin it down a lot, but I can't complain with the results.

your work is amazing!!! so what do you use to thin down the paint since it is latex?? and what nozzel on ur gun do you use? how about primer, what do you recommend (im assuming spray that too)??

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

your work is amazing!!! so what do you use to thin down the paint since it is latex?? and what nozzel on ur gun do you use? how about primer, what do you recommend (im assuming spray that too)??

Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you like my work.

I use a 1.5 mm nozzle. I thin the paint with some Floetrol and then as much water as it takes to get it thin enough. For primer I've been using Zinnser BIN, but as soon as I finish off this can I'm probably going to switch to something else, it clogs up sandpaper too much.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

We used bin a lot doing house exteriors it's good shit for hiding stains and it seals up bare wood really well.

Never had issues with clogging but we let it sit for a couple days on average before we would sand it and paint over it.

I also learned that if you use it in a confined space you get high as kite.

Flotrol is a good product but give xim a try I find it to be much much better at letting the paint level itself.

It also doesn't get all funky like flotrol does after you open it.

Water will effect how well the paint covers just as a heads up.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I did a enclosure not to long ago for a friend with rattle cans and It turned out awesome but like triticum said it's all in their prep work.

I probably had 100+ hours into the prep work alone.

Oh and it actually won an award at a car ahow.

Trying to dig up the pictures of it as we speak.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you like my work.

I use a 1.5 mm nozzle. I thin the paint with some Floetrol and then as much water as it takes to get it thin enough. For primer I've been using Zinnser BIN, but as soon as I finish off this can I'm probably going to switch to something else, it clogs up sandpaper too much.

those are some off the wall names.. lol.. i guess im just used to killz and what not.. haha..

u also spray the primer right?

We used bin a lot doing house exteriors it's good shit for hiding stains and it seals up bare wood really well.

Never had issues with clogging but we let it sit for a couple days on average before we would sand it and paint over it.

I also learned that if you use it in a confined space you get high as kite.

Flotrol is a good product but give xim a try I find it to be much much better at letting the paint level itself.

It also doesn't get all funky like flotrol does after you open it.

Water will effect how well the paint covers just as a heads up.

ill have to weigh my options for primers.. and paints. lol... the prices for the things yall are suggesting is actually turning out to cost more than the auto paint i was asking about.. i know the color variety will be more immense with home paint, but i like the idea of having rock hard auto paint on a box...

I did a enclosure not to long ago for a friend with rattle cans and It turned out awesome but like triticum said it's all in their prep work.

I probably had 100+ hours into the prep work alone.

Oh and it actually won an award at a car ahow.

Trying to dig up the pictures of it as we speak.

i kno what you mean about prep.. i do tons of prep just for what i have been painting lately (rolled on oil based paint).. haha

im going to look into the rettle cans too, but i still think ima come out on top with the Duplicolor product.. i want a mirror finish..

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Are you set up to spray it already because if not you are looking at a large initial cost for a compressor that's capable of the job and a decent spray gun.

Oil based paint sprayed through a hvlp can come out looking like glass if you know what you are doing.

Are you set up to spray it already because if not you are looking at a large initial cost for a compressor that's capable of the job and a decent spray gun.

Oil based paint sprayed through a hvlp can come out looking like glass if you know what you are doing.

yes.. im all set up.. lol.. thats y i am considering it.. i have a 3 gun set, 20gal compressor, pressure regulator, water separator and so on..

what would i need to do to spray oil based??

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Archived