SQ advice needed.

EyeMKermie

You can have a double or triple increased RMS amplifier and still be safe with those speakers. It's about how you set the gain. Remember it's not a volume knob, it's a voltage matching potentiometer. Use a -0dB 1khz tone and the proper tool to see where the amp starts to distort at and I'm sure you'll be more than fine. Or, since you say you very rarely turn the volume up a lot, use a -5dB tone for a little more output at your normal listening volume, and you still won't see half of that amplifiers power going to your speakers.

Been using a DD-1. That good enough to keep everything safe?

More power in reserve you can give = less gain gain you have to use = better dynamics, clarity, definition of stage and image = Less stress on drivers trying to reproduce critical notes needed for clean quality sound. Better known as headroom ...

I know a bit about headroom and completely get why i should supply them with more power. At my normal listening volumes ( about 30% deck volume), with a 150w rms/channel amp I'm guessing the speakers are seeing about 50watts compared to the near 25watts supplied by my current amp... but at full volume.. rarely do i do this but i do .. do it. those speakers are seeing more power than they are rated for at their peak rating... which would mean more stress and heat.. thus leading to damage.

Am i getting this wrong?

Just as with amplifiers feeding drivers, the same can be said that the more battery reserves you have, the less stress the amplifier will be under to make power ...

Hence less stress = better dynamics

tweetlocation_zpsgcq3eemg.jpg

Found the new placement for the tweet. it's closer to ear level and the only thing in the way is part of the steering wheel.

what do you guys think? i'd still have to make the pod

Drill a hole in the dead center of that panel. Get a small althread bolt and bend it at a 45 deg angle.

Then attatch it to the panel and then install the tweeter to the bolt.

This way, you can adjust the tweeter angle to the satisfied listening position.

Once the angles have been determined, then make your new pods ...

Without test and tune ... all that work can turn out worthless.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Drill a hole in the dead center of that panel. Get a small althread bolt and bend it at a 45 deg angle.

Then attatch it to the panel and then install the tweeter to the bolt.

This way, you can adjust the tweeter angle to the satisfied listening position.

Once the angles have been determined, then make your new pods ...

Without test and tune ... all that work can turn out worthless.

The components came with plastic tweeter pods that allow the tweets to be aimed without moving the pods. Pic below of one of the pods types that came with the set:

vsp525kit_06__56997.1402436883.1280.1280

I was going to position them with the tweets centered and the pods aimed between the drivers and passengers head. From there i should be able to rotate the tweeters a good 30-40 degrees in any direction from that initial spot.

Oh mounting them plastic pod to plastic panel with ca glue for testing. if it works out then ill mount them permanently.

Thoughts?

Whatever works brother. Just test and tune before fabricating pods was the point I was trying to make.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Whatever works brother. Just test and tune before fabricating pods was the point I was trying to make.

Gotcha.

My system is always.. research, theory, plan, prototype and test, then final build. Hasn't failed me yet.

Going to try to get a decent "before" video up soon.

Archived