Sonic Electronix

Rate my 4th order design please.

How do you keep that area from leaking air though? My first thought is weatherstripping but unsure how that would hold up?

I'd think a fat bead of silicone would do the trick and be easy to remove if need be.

I've been doing some reading on the caraudioclassifieds 4th order thread. 1000+ posts actually. Thinking of going with a new ratio. 3:1 with 1 cube sealed per sub. So 4 cubes sealed and 12 ported. I ran across a formula for determining sealed resonance in that thread and am using it but coming up with silly numbers. The square root of Vas/Vb+1? Not sure I'm doing it right. My impression is that the answer to this formula will give me my best ported tuning frequency. Also, is it okay that I fire the subs at each other in the box? Soundqubed assures me that it won't cause any cancellation but I've heard one person say it's a general 'no-no'. Build begins this weekend BTW.

Ratios mean jack. They were made as a (bad) shortcut for people who don't understand bandpass boxes.

Using 1 cube per sub is going to give your subs a sealed resonance of about 46 Hz, assuming SoundQubes specs are accurate. The only difference between having a 6 cubes sealed and 4 cubes sealed is your low end rolloff is going to be a little steeper with the smaller sealed side, it won't make the box one bit louder.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

How do you keep that area from leaking air though? My first thought is weatherstripping but unsure how that would hold up?

I'd think a fat bead of silicone would do the trick and be easy to remove if need be.

I've been doing some reading on the caraudioclassifieds 4th order thread. 1000+ posts actually. Thinking of going with a new ratio. 3:1 with 1 cube sealed per sub. So 4 cubes sealed and 12 ported. I ran across a formula for determining sealed resonance in that thread and am using it but coming up with silly numbers. The square root of Vas/Vb+1? Not sure I'm doing it right. My impression is that the answer to this formula will give me my best ported tuning frequency. Also, is it okay that I fire the subs at each other in the box? Soundqubed assures me that it won't cause any cancellation but I've heard one person say it's a general 'no-no'. Build begins this weekend BTW.

Ratios mean jack. They were made as a (bad) shortcut for people who don't understand bandpass boxes.

Using 1 cube per sub is going to give your subs a sealed resonance of about 46 Hz, assuming SoundQubes specs are accurate. The only difference between having a 6 cubes sealed and 4 cubes sealed is your low end rolloff is going to be a little steeper with the smaller sealed side, it won't make the box one bit louder.

Is it really so application dependant that there is no best place to start? Im going off of what most people seem to be doing. 2.5 cubes for an 18, 1.5 for a 15, 1 for a 12, .5 for a 10. And Im pretty sure indont need to go to a 4:1 ratio so i figured at 3:1 i could always add foam blocks to lower it if I feel like it's needed. If I stick with 1.5 or 1.25 how does that affect my resonant frequency and is that about what I should tune to?

Current Setup : Nothing
2014 Ford Focus SE Hatch

Future looking like:

Singer / XS power

Crescendo BC3500D

CT EXO 15

Pioneer 80PRS

CDT HD-61PRO

CT Sounds M75.4

CT Sounds AT60.4

Something along those lines.

Is it really so application dependant that there is no best place to start? Im going off of what most people seem to be doing. 2.5 cubes for an 18, 1.5 for a 15, 1 for a 12, .5 for a 10. And Im pretty sure indont need to go to a 4:1 ratio so i figured at 3:1 i could always add foam blocks to lower it if I feel like it's needed. If I stick with 1.5 or 1.25 how does that affect my resonant frequency and is that about what I should tune to?

When it comes to bandpass boxes, just because other people are doing it doesn't make it "right". Bandpass boxes have to be one of the least understood things in car audio and I see lots of people doing ill-advised things with them. Also there is definitely more than one "right" way to design a bandpass box, it really depends on what kind of sound you are trying to get out of it.

If you are looking for a starting point, here is my suggestion. Start with the sealed side, ideally you want it sized to get the QTC at .707 or below and you want the Fb to be close to where you want to tune the front chamber to (45 Hz is a good starting point). Not all subs will allow you to accomplish this. In your case 1.15 cubes per sub will get the Fb to 45 Hz. The Qtc is still higher than ideal but there isn't much you can do about that since the subs QTS is already above .707 and all you can do is raise it.

Now for the ported side, tune it to around 45 hz to start with and size it whatever it needs to be to get the amount of bandwidth or efficiency you want. 4th order bandpass boxes trade wide bandwidth for efficiency, you can have a combination of the two but you can't max out both at the same time. With 12 cubes for the front chamber the box is going to be very efficiency around the tuning frequency, but will have a narrow bandwidth. I like smooth response, so if I were building it to sound how I like things I'd use about 4 cubes for the front chamber, but I don't mind giving up output to get decent response and in this case going from 12 to 4 cubes is going to cost about 7 db. Neither 12 or 4 cubes is right or wrong, it just depends on how you want it to sound.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

I understand what you mean about trading efficiency for bandwidth but I don't have a reference point. The owner of this truck is probably equally concerned about them. He really only listens to rap so I figure most of that bass is in the 30 -45 hz range. He's also excited, as am I, about the possibility of approaching 150db. Even 145 I think would make him happy.

2014 Ford Focus SE Hatch

Future looking like:

Singer / XS power

Crescendo BC3500D

CT EXO 15

Pioneer 80PRS

CDT HD-61PRO

CT Sounds M75.4

CT Sounds AT60.4

Subs are D4 so 2ohm.

2014 Ford Focus SE Hatch

Future looking like:

Singer / XS power

Crescendo BC3500D

CT EXO 15

Pioneer 80PRS

CDT HD-61PRO

CT Sounds M75.4

CT Sounds AT60.4

Ok so i finally finished my design. Took me 3 days, 8 pages of scratch math, and a few hundred forum pages. This is what i came up with.

20150805_211201_zpslwzoad6b.jpg

4860db23-1173-4b18-b0ca-12e051dd0dab_zps

20150805_215504_zpsnqljgzyb.jpg

Front top and side view.

4.702 net sealed

10.95 net ported

224.5 sq inches port

11.06 inches long

49hz

Materials being picked up Friday. 300 screws, 4 sheets mdf, 16oz glue, 12 tubes caulk, 1 galon fiberglass resin, 50 sq ft fiberglass mat. Then off to get bedlinered. Will start a build log on Sunday and update as I build. Hoping to get it done in 2 sundays.

2014 Ford Focus SE Hatch

Future looking like:

Singer / XS power

Crescendo BC3500D

CT EXO 15

Pioneer 80PRS

CDT HD-61PRO

CT Sounds M75.4

CT Sounds AT60.4

Looks like you have quite a project ahead of you! I hope it all goes well.

One suggestion, I would play test the box as early in the construction process as possible. Just in case you want to make any changes, the earlier you discover that the easier it will be.

Builds:

Archived