Second Skin Audio

Will this be a good starting point?

toolshed

What vehicle do you have? What are your goals for the box, is it going to be for SPL numbers or do you want it to do well on music? If you want it to be decent at music what frequency will you crossover at? How much power are you going to run?

There are a lot of "right" ways to design a bandpass box, what's going to be best for you depends on your particular situation.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Hair tricks probably aren't going to happen, but you should be able to get some pretty decent performance none the less.

My suggestion for box specs would be to make the rear chamber (sealed side) 5.4 cubes, this will give the subs a sealed resonance of 45 Hz, which is around where you will want to tune the front chamber and a QTC of .82, which isn't too far from the most desireable .7. For the front chamber it depends on how peaky you want the box to sound. I hate peaky bass and want a smooth response, so if I were building it for myself I'd make the front chamber 4 cubes tuned to 45 Hz. As you make the front chamber bigger from there it will get louder, but only around a small frequency range. If you make the front 12 cubes it would be about 4.5 db louder but much more peaky. Neither size is right or wrong, its up to you to decide what you want. I give you graphs showing you the difference is output between different front chamber sizes if you like.

No matter what you do I'd take soffhands suggestion and make the port removeable so you can change the tuning after it is built if you desire.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

You should get good output down to 30 hz or even a little below.

Builds:

How would you face the subs.... I'm going 19in tall and 49.5 wide with the box as the depth with determine the air space. I Was thinking about facing subs forward at the port with a doubled divider in the middle so they are in separate boxes So each sub would have its own port facing into the cab.... Or would it be best to face subs to the middle of the box and port each sub forward into the cab?

Archived