Second Skin Audio

need help picking sub/design/ aero port.... got a big headache

towncarblue

im trying to get a sub into my honda accord 07 sedan. i want to put a sub as deep into the trunk as i can into the accord.

i dont care how loud it goes , its not my goal. i want some deep low bass.

my measurements are 28"w x 15"h x 10"d @ 1.76 cubic feet before any displacement.

i've done alot of research and im running out of google search options.

i have two different subs that im looking at and one that im not sure about.

1- stereo integrity mag v3. ---- ported

this sub is supposed to be 1.5 cubic feet ported @ 35hz. i did some calculations using torres tuning calculator and figured i only

needed a 2" aero port with a length of 2.8" . upon searching i figured out that its too small and would lead to terrible port

noise. i honestly never done a round ported box and i have no idea how / if i can get one installed in my current setup.

i've tried using winisd but i need to learn more before i can understand what im doing. i once tried to build a L-port box

using re sub box calculator but it came out sounding terrible , never tried again . that calculator is not recommended too much.

2- dayton audio reference ho 15" ---- sealed

this sub is supposed to be 1.5 cubic feet sealed. i am considering this setup because i assume that a 15" can go deeper than a 12".

with some slight modification to the height on one side of the box i should be able to fit this sub in. i just don't know if the HO is my best option.

3- dayton audio ultimax 12" or 15" ---- sealed

the box specs for this sub start at about 2 cubic feet 12" . even-though the recommended cubic feet is too much , a person from another forum

recommended it " it works great in sealed application and it gets deep " . don't know about that. opinions welcomed.

can someone help me calculate the correct aero port for this box ?

am i better off with the dayton HO sealed OR the stereo integrity mag v3 sealed ?

That's not a lot of space to work with. If you want to do a ported sub you are probably going to need to be looking at a single 10". With a sealed box you definitely have space for a 12", maybe at 15", but that will be pushing it.

How much power/what amp are you going to be using?

Larger subs don't necessarily hit lower than smaller subs. Its very dependant on the particular sub and the box its in. I've used 6.5" subs that play lower than some 15" subs.

If you want deep, low bass, a ported 10" is probably going to be your best bet on the space you have, IMHO.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

A SSA GCON 10" would probably be my first choice, followed by a FI X10.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Port length is determined by the net volume of the box, port area, and tuning frequency. There are online calculators that can help you determine what length your port needs to be to get the tuning you want. There area also programs like Torres, WinISD, Hornresp that will let you do that as well as a whole lot more.

If you want, you can probably get someone on SMD to design a box to fit your space for you.

Builds:

yes i can :cray: . ill lose a bit more trunk space but :cray: i know it will be worth it.

using rockford fosgate sub box calculator ..

28"w x 15"h x 12.5"d would yeild 2.12 cubic feet

and 1.95 after sub displacement.

i can do those measurements [ i just increased the depth by 2.5"]

since im now at 2 cubic feet, am i better off with two 12" in a sealed box ?

also.. i used torres to get the port length , what i dont know is how to get the right aero port diameter

so that i can avoid port noise.

using torres i did a L-port design with a 1:9 ratio. what is my ideal ratio supposed to be ?

here is my torres screen shot

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii42/towncarblue/best%20one%20so%20far.png

Your port ratio is too high. Lower ratios are better, ideally I try to keep it under 1:5.

Determining the proper amount of port area isn't an exact science. Here is a port area calculator that will give you an idea:

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

It tends to error on the high side, which is better than the opposite, but it can result in you using a pretty large port.

Builds:

Port length is determined by the net volume of the box, port area, and tuning frequency. There are online calculators that can help you determine what length your port needs to be to get the tuning you want. There area also programs like Torres, WinISD, Hornresp that will let you do that as well as a whole lot more.

If you want, you can probably get someone on SMD to design a box to fit your space for you.

i need someone here at SMD to design a box for me. lengh and width cannot be changed , try to keep depth as low as possible

for a stereo integrity mag v3

Archived