Nismomaniak Posted September 12, 2015 Author Report Posted September 12, 2015 I can get 60sqin of port if I make the box 18" deep and use my 6" port at 12" long. Ill have enough room between the port and box as well. Or is there something else im missing other than just port area that Im neglecting? I guess that limits my idea of being able to tune lower too, because I wont have the depth to add more port.Now im tempted to slot port it, id need an 8" port to make the tuning adjustable like I want it to be. I guess its just not in the cards! Maybe I can use the 6" on my girlfriends box and play with that instead. No pun intended.
Triticum Agricolam Posted September 12, 2015 Report Posted September 12, 2015 I think you might be a little confused on what port area is. A single 6" port has about 30 sq in of port area, regardless of how long it is. Like Joe X said, a single 6" port probably isn't going to be enough. Without enough port area your port velocity will be too high and you will lose output and might have some port noise. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Nismomaniak Posted September 12, 2015 Author Report Posted September 12, 2015 Oh, I thought port area depended on volume? So I could add more length and add more port area.
Triticum Agricolam Posted September 12, 2015 Report Posted September 12, 2015 Nope, port area is purely a two-dimensional measurement. If you have a port that's 10" wide but 5" tall and 20" long your have 50 sq in of port area. You could make the port longer or shorter and your port area doesn't change. However as you change the length the amount of volume the port takes up will change and so will the tuning frequency. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Nismomaniak Posted September 13, 2015 Author Report Posted September 13, 2015 Okay I didn't know that, all I know is what winisd tells me, lol. Its telling me at 4 cubes and a 6" port ill need a 7" port and vent mach will be nearly nothing.Is there another way I can play with the tuning of a box with this setup? or am I limited to slot porting in your opinions?
Triticum Agricolam Posted September 13, 2015 Report Posted September 13, 2015 How much input power are you simulating in WinISD? I show you getting up into the port velocity danger zone with a single 6" port at about 500 watts. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Nismomaniak Posted September 13, 2015 Author Report Posted September 13, 2015 2000 watts, 4 cubes and 40hz tuning came out to 0.08 vent mach. Unless I've knackered the TS parameters. Maybe a switched a unit by accident. I'll post a screenshot when I'm home.
Nismomaniak Posted September 13, 2015 Author Report Posted September 13, 2015 I cant seem to post a link, or a photo even by url, the dialog box seems to not function. I don't know, lol.
Joe X Posted September 13, 2015 Report Posted September 13, 2015 Go to the plot tab and enter the power you will be running, it's not enough to set the sub rated power in the driver window.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.