Sundown Audio

Amp recomendations, running it at 1 omh

Neto MC

I am going to update my sound system, now I'm gettting my second subwoofer a Kicker CVR 12". So I've been looking some amps, with some considerations, like getting an amp that has more RMS power than the sub neeeds, I'm looking at the Hifonic Zeus Elite 1350.1D, which gives 1300 RMS at 1 Ohm. And my Subs are of 400RMS each one, with double coil, of 4 ohms.

But my real question is,, is it that bad to run such amplifier at 1 ohm, because I've read on other web sites, that may cause the amplifier to overheat, constantly delivering so much power. Thanks in advance

U should be fine with THAT amp on those subs at 1 ohm. Hifonics amps are known to be overrated on wattage outputs. You shouldnt have any overheating issues if everything is properly installed and gains properly set. If you do just add fans......or buy a higher quality amp.

As long as the gain is set to match the input voltage from the head unit you'll be fine on that amp at 1ohm (disregarding subwoofer rms). What will cause it to overheat will be clipping the signal by using the gain as a volume knob or following the 3/4 "rule". That combined with being in a space with no air flow, equals hot amp.

If an amp is 1 ohm stable, there is nothing wrong with running it at 1 ohm. Generally people have issues thermally with amplifiers due to clipping (improper gain setting) which can cause internal components to get very hot or even fail, others are just due lack of air movement and it just being plain ole hot outside, nothing to do with what the amp is wired at.

When running an amplifier, regardless of load, make sure your electrical system can support the power you are trying to pull, and make sure your gains are set correctly.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Archived