Sundown Audio

Which amp is too much for my amperage

drupru22

Hey guys, first post here, and hoping I could get some help. I just removed my US Amps 2000X from my truck due to the SAT light staying on. I'm looking for higher power amps now and would like something that is going to fit my amperage now. I have a Mechman 370 amp alternator running by itself charging a stock battery off the shelf for under the hood for just the truck. In the back for the amp I have 2 XS Power D3100 batteries with 1 run of Sky High 2/0 power wire from the alternator to the XS batteries. All power and ground is the same 2/0 gauge wire off the batteries. For subs I'm running 2 15" RE Audio XXXs (dust 4ohm) but I'm not sure what model year they are (any help figuring this out would help) since I've heard the old ones are better than the new ones. So I'm shopping for a 1 ohm stable amp. I don't want an amp that is gonna draw so much I'll need another alternator or extra batteries. I was looking at the Sundown SCV 3000D at first but after talking with Brian over at Sundown he thinks that amp will be well underpowered for the RMS ratings on the subs. He suggested the SCV 6000D but I don't know if my electrical will be enough to handle that beast. I wouldn't mind buying the 6000D and running double runs possibly if that will be enough, but that's as far as I'd wanna go with it. I can't dump another $3k into the system. I'd like something that will handle what I already have and sound awesome day to day. So whatcha guys think? I really like the new Sundown stuff which is for 12 volt systems but I'm open to other companies. Really don't wanna spend more than $1400 on an amp either. Any help would be appreciated guys.

2000 rms each. I heard through this site and others that the older models can handle more than this and the newer ones are more toward this rating.

Yeah on music you won't pull but maybe 3/4 of the amperage at absolute best, and I recommend SoundQubed because I've yet to be disappointed and im everything SoundQubed :P

I was also thinking of running the stock alternator in junction with the 370. I was gonna tie all the stock electrical to just the stock alternator and run just the amp off of the 370, this way I can get the full performance from the 370. I've already made the dual alternator bracket liked the one they sell but wasn't sure if it was worth installing it to run this way. As for the SoundQubed stuff, I have looked into these amps also. I know it's all preferences but what are some advantages with the Q4500 compared to we'll say the SCV 4000D besides price. Again I don't mind spending a lil more for the right amp this time around so I can enjoy it for years on end. I don't wanna buy one and wish I had more power, ya know! Does anyone have any input on the Sundown 6k? Too much power for my setup? Just right?

I was also thinking of running the stock alternator in junction with the 370. I was gonna tie all the stock electrical to just the stock alternator and run just the amp off of the 370, this way I can get the full performance from the 370. I've already made the dual alternator bracket liked the one they sell but wasn't sure if it was worth installing it to run this way. As for the SoundQubed stuff, I have looked into these amps also. I know it's all preferences but what are some advantages with the Q4500 compared to we'll say the SCV 4000D besides price. Again I don't mind spending a lil more for the right amp this time around so I can enjoy it for years on end. I don't wanna buy one and wish I had more power, ya know! Does anyone have any input on the Sundown 6k? Too much power for my setup? Just right?

I really know nothing of those subs, to say if they could handle 3k a piece. If you want to see what a Q4500, or 6 can do look at The Black Nasty...

Archived