Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Is it as simple as I think?


JackC94

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi guys first time posting up on here, This is going to be my first 'proper' build I've always had prefab boxes before but I've now decided to make something I want that fits better. My main question is I have settled on a single alpine type R 10" woofer In a L shape ported box Reading around on their recommended box design it still doesn't quite look right in my boot, Ive been playing around with the RE audio box calculator and is it as simple as making the dimensions what i want them to be but keeping the cubic foot and tuning frequency around the recommended figures alpine recommends? as i have made a box that is different from their recommended enclosure but still keeps the same cubic ft and tuning (ish) that they want ?

Or I may be well out n barking up the wrong tree haha :P

Posted

Yes, cubic ft and tuning matters more than the dimensions. If we only used their recommended dimensions, a lot of trunk cars wouldn't have some of the subs they do.

Posted

Port cross-sectional area needs to be kept the same as well, regardless Alpine suggestions are rather inefficient to keep small, depending on your goals you may want to do something different.

Posted

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-14%20at%208.40.5

This is what I'm thinking of building at the moment, When you say cross sectional area do you mean the distance from the wall to the port ? main goal is just for a nice sounding box that I've built myself that i can play the occasional decaf song on :P I know the tuning is lower than the 35 they recommend to be the lowest but after the woofer is in it should hopefully sit around the 35 mark

Posted

Well i had a little spare time today so i drew up my box in sketchup so i could get a rough idea of how its going to look but i may have made a mistake. Where the port begins inside the box there is only a 0.7" gap between the wall and the beginning of the port and to me that seems very small and i don't know if it can be like that ? here is a picture of what i mean

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-15%20at%2011.39.

Thanks for your replys though guys its very much appreciated :)

Posted

What he's saying is that if the port opening is 3 inches wide and 14 inches tall, it needs to stay that way all the way throughout, no bigger no smaller at any point.

That ".7" between the wall and the beginning of the port won't work. You'll need at least the width of your port to be there. Otherwise it's like having a drink straw feed water into a hose.

Posted

What he's saying is that if the port opening is 3 inches wide and 14 inches tall, it needs to stay that way all the way throughout, no bigger no smaller at any point.

That ".7" between the wall and the beginning of the port won't work. You'll need at least the width of your port to be there. Otherwise it's like having a drink straw feed water into a hose.

Thats what i thought, glad i asked on here now ill have a re design n think abit more about it thanks for helping me out though :) ill post up when I've had a bit more of a play ;)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 5233 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...