Need some help with some midbass options, which option is the best?

MrAcd

I have a 1987 Mustang GT i am trying to put some midbass in. My current set up in the car is a Clarion CZ702 HU, and some rockford 3.5 2 ways in the dash, i will be adding 2 SA-8's in the rear once i get the front stage built. I have not picked out an amp yet, im waiting till i pick out speakers first to give them the correct amount of power.

That was a little background, what i actually need help with is finding a midbass driver. The only problem is i only have 2 1/8 mounting depth! which is really small. I am trying to fit some nice 6.5's. I was thinking shallow mounted midbass woofers at first. CDT was my go to place for a standalone midbass driver i wanted some CL-6SL Ultra Slim drivers. Then somebody brought it to my attention that with only 1.5 depth speaker, it really wouldnt be a lot of midbass.

So what about some 2 ways that could use my 2 1/8 to its full potential. I dont want the tweeter though because i have my highs already covered. These will be ran actively so i thought about just crossing them over at around 500hz that way the tweeter wouldnt get any signal.

MY next option would be to build a spacer and fit some HD 6Cf's from CDT sounds, they are full woofers and would be perfect. They are 2.4" depth. The problem is the door panel is so close to the door, 3/4 of an inch actually . I know i could fit a .25 inch spacer, that would give me 2.375 inches of depth which is so close to the 2.4 i need but not close enough. I dont know about .5 spacer but from the looks it might fit or it might not, and i cant afford to buy the 6CF's only to see they wont fit with the .5 spacer and now i have to return them.

I thought about making a .5 spacer and sanding it down to say .3, that way the spacer would fit and i would get my mounting depth, but im not totally sure that work. The door's will also be deaden and for the most part sealed.

So what could somebody suggest doing? out of those options, just get a 2 way and crossover where the tweeter wont play. Just get the slim model or get the 6CF's and sand down a spacer to TRY to make it fit?

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7L
HU: Pioneer DEH X6600BT
Box/Subs: 2.9 cubes @33hz/ 2 10" SSA DCONS (SOLD! now AB XFL 15's)
Sub Amp: Soundqubed Q1-1200D @1 ohm (replacing with FSD 2600)
Component: Stock for now
Component Amp: Stock for now
Wiring for amp: SHCA 1/0 OFC
Under the hood: Stock 136 amp alt/ Big three with KNU OFC 0guage (replacing with 160amp)

I had just tried to make the spacer work and it was a no-go. So now im down to two options, get the shallow midbass woofer or get a regular 2 way that will use all of my space. Which will provide better midbass?

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7L
HU: Pioneer DEH X6600BT
Box/Subs: 2.9 cubes @33hz/ 2 10" SSA DCONS (SOLD! now AB XFL 15's)
Sub Amp: Soundqubed Q1-1200D @1 ohm (replacing with FSD 2600)
Component: Stock for now
Component Amp: Stock for now
Wiring for amp: SHCA 1/0 OFC
Under the hood: Stock 136 amp alt/ Big three with KNU OFC 0guage (replacing with 160amp)

First of all are you looking to just add another midrange? Or are you looking for a true midbass? Adding midbass is a three/way system. Is your hu 3way or 2way output. mids,treble,bass =2 way. mid bass,midrange,treble,bass 3 way. Your depth will kill you for midbass. Look at Madison Sound they may have a shallow midbass. Adding another componet speaker is adding midrange. Look at JL Audio ZR Midbass there deep mount though,

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Pics of what you are working with would help ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I've seen a lot of crazy shit go into a 87 Mustang.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived