Setting Gain with Flat EQ - Why?

RMC66

I think you just answered your own question. :D

Higher is louder, but will increase clipping exponentially. Don't forget this dB thing. It's about sine wave amplitude, signal, noise level (distortion), etc. Music is recorded

to allow for a buffer or headroom you can adjust to.

Now you're making me want to down load a new test tone with -5 and -10dB.

Damn it!!!! lol.

-Frank

Frank, so that means you test yours at something OTHER than -10db, which kinda proves my point of why test with it... I know it's what SMD suggest, and some other vids suggested.... still don't know exactly why. lol

RMC66, I think I'm starting to understand it.(?) It has to be an inverse relationship. If you set the amp gain with a -10dB gain level (the bass notes) and some recordings are at -13dB than you're in the safe zone. If you play a track with anything above -10dB the signal will be amplified by a factor of "X". If I understand it correctly, if you set a 1500W amp with a -10dB level, than it will provide 1500W at that level. If you than play a -8dB track, it's like turning up the bass boost on the amp. The amp will try to match the signal and want to reach it's headroom max and play the track at say 1600W which will probably cause it to clip. Because a value of -8dB is higher than a value of -10dB. I think that's why the guy who wrote the other post in the link I provided made it clear it depends on what type of music you listen to, bass boosted or not bass boosted.

Can someone please tell me if I am saying this right?

-Frank

That's making sense. And also, kinda of makes sense if your aiming for MAX SPL then -10db is good place, if your want ULTRA SAFE never gonna blow your load (or VERY VERY UNLIKELY) than 0 db is the test tones to use! and -7.5 and -5 put you somewhere in between!!! Its all making sense... IF i got it right that is!

You got it. As for boosted music, it's the same as your non boosted music. You have to know your equipment. That boosted music could have originally been recorded at -5dB, and then put on bit-torrent as MP3 which is compressed, someone downloads it and boosts it, but their boosting compresses the file more, but it appears that the lows are going to play louder when all they did was shrink the mids/highs more than they shrunk the lows. Now that -5dB track is -12dB.

Or it's level of attenuation is never altered at all and it's still a -5dB track. You have to know when a track is too much, which is pretty easy to tell because you'll start smelling it pretty quick.

I wouldn't set gains with -0dB. it wouldn't hardly amplify the signal at all. Safe yes, worthwhile, not to me. Use -5dB or -7.5dB.

You got it. As for boosted music, it's the same as your non boosted music. You have to know your equipment. That boosted music could have originally been recorded at -5dB, and then put on bit-torrent as MP3 which is compressed, someone downloads it and boosts it, but their boosting compresses the file more, but it appears that the lows are going to play louder when all they did was shrink the mids/highs more than they shrunk the lows. Now that -5dB track is -12dB.

Does it matter, that I basically only listen to CD's?

If it's a store-bought CD and not one you made from nasty free downloaded music, then it will be of better quality. But that doesn't tell you what that particular cd was recorded at

If it's a store-bought CD and not one you made from nasty free downloaded music, then it will be of better quality. But that doesn't tell you what that particular cd was recorded at

I only use ACTUAL paid cd's ----- I know, nobody does that sh#$% right.... well, I'm also the same type of person that didn't like napster, and limewire and everything else that's come since. I've played in bands, I know how much work goes into making actual music, and it's just not right "OWNING" music you aren't willing to pay for. You want free music, listen to the radio or pandora. YOU WANT TO PLAY A SONG anytime you want!!!! pay the damn people that made it, so they can afford to keep making more. My girl is all itunes, which is cool, cause that's about the same thing. But i still like that CD in my hand, to cover art and case book to flip through, and knowing I own the music outright.

And copied CD's @#$%@$% that noise!!!! I remember people back in the last 90's early 00's saying "I own 500 CD's" and then they grab their black cd case and open it up, and its ALL @$%ing CD recordable with Sharpie on them! That shit really pissed me off. I have hundreds of CD's all bought fresh and clean and unwrapped by me.

TO all those that do it the other way, do what makes you happy.

but for me, I just don't feel good stealing.

Speaking of which, anyone got an O scope they don't want anymore now that they have all their SMD amazing awesome gear B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B) ! I need something to tune my gear.

It's about 3 1/2 DD-1's ;)

More if you take time to factor in future calibration costs

I wish i had Chedder like that.... I just got done with my degree a fee months ago, and found out last week... I'm gonna be a dad. SO, ya! My girls already killling my buzz on what i FIRST wanted to do with this particular build. Lucky, i got the Sony MEX HU, hertz components, and one front amp ordered (getting the rear ordered today), before I got the budget axe. Might have to use a single 10in IB flat (1st gen) i have, paired to my trusy MTX 801d elite, as i don't know if there's gonna be "headroom" in my budget for a second sub....

Archived