Setting Gain with Flat EQ - Why?

RMC66

Everyone talks about setting their Gains with a Flat EQ (on the Head unit, not in a system with a signal processor) but I'm not sure I understand why.

The whole point of setting this is so that you don't have any clipping, but if you set it flat, then bass boost, or press the clear Audio buttton (sony decks) or the various preset EQ settings or even your OWN personal settings, your likely going to NOT have the EQ flat. and it WON'T be flat if you like any of the onboard preset eq settings.

So, why would you still set up a system to not clip... using flat EQ? why wouldn't you max EQ, which would still save headroom for bass boost or what not, is some idiot jumped in your car or was pressing buttons OR you wanted to max a frequency with your own settings.

I know what your going to say, presets are garbage, maybe, but some people like them... and use them. just like bass boost.

Anyways, just wondering.

ALSO, second part of the question, why do people suggest using a -10db signal for base for setting gain... and not a 0db?

And ya, just getting into the technical side of car audio, and don't want to be a scrub putting in subs, and amps and max gain all day. I wan't to here MUSIC, just at really really loud volumes!!!

RMC

Started to respond, but I'd rather see what others say. Definitely expecting some controversial answers in this ;)

Eq is for fine tuning if anything you want to go low on what's high. If you tune with Eq up you will introduce clipping much sooner. With the Eq flat I can set my gain a bit higher and if any frequency is high I lower it with the Eq, I don't raise the others to match it

If you want really loud clear music ... you add amplifier power with adequate battery power. Plain and simple.

You may as well take out my gain potentiometers cause I do not use them ... at all.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I agree with setting it flat.... but it sounds like setting the gains to a worst case scenario would make sure clipping is avoided... if it is setup all flat when someone goes in to full retard demo mode everything goes haywire... I would think if you have access to a dd1/ o scope you could go back and just see what all the other adjustments would do... setting flat and then hitting loud and bass boost should red line everything you had done to prevent clipping... I would think setting gains would be done at what and how you plan on using your various equipment

If you want really loud clear music ... you add amplifier power with adequate battery power. Plain and simple.

You may as well take out my gain potentiometers cause I do not use them ... at all.

I'm sorry it wasn't clearly stated that I'm using amps. Fronts, rears, and subs will all have there own separate amps. with 20% head room for the components to prevent excessive heat, amperage draw, clipping, and so on and so forth.

and the BIG 4 was already completed today (which, after LOTS of research makes CLEAR and obvious sense of why to do this, and the benefits of directly having negative go from ALT to Batt.

I agree with setting it flat.... but it sounds like setting the gains to a worst case scenario would make sure clipping is avoided... if it is setup all flat when someone goes in to full retard demo mode everything goes haywire... I would think if you have access to a dd1/ o scope you could go back and just see what all the other adjustments would do... setting flat and then hitting loud and bass boost should red line everything you had done to prevent clipping... I would think setting gains would be done at what and how you plan on using your various equipment

Exactly, that OH NO @$% moment when my GF gets in my ride, and plays with things, or anyone for that matter. OR like i said, just enjoying some of the preset EQ settings that I'm sure aren't ----------- arcoss the channels but probably look more like ___----~~_-~

Started to respond, but I'd rather see what others say. Definitely expecting some controversial answers in this ;)

I agree, been doing BUTT loads of research, and although they say there is more than one way to skin a cat, I just some of this makes illogical sense.

OH, and anyone have comments to say about using -10db sign wave for low end? cause that's what SMD CD comes with, but again, doesn't make sense to set base negative....

20% headroom?

15-20% more rated RMS for each amp compared to the RMS rating for the speakers. Not so much headroom I guess, as that's more a term used in Live Music when you got extra power to raise the volume in the venue if need be. I'm sure there's a term/lingo for what I was describing that you could fill me in on

Archived