8V RCA ouput headunit/4V amp RCA input?

I have a question about matching an 8V RCA head unit to an amp that has a 4V low level input. As far as I know, they no longer make 8V output head units. What will happen to the inputs on the amp? Can the high voltage fry the inputs??

I have 2 8V head units, the Eclipse 8443 and Rockford's RFX-8140 sitting in the closet. The Eclipse has an 8V output, and the RFX has an 8.5V output.

Since I'm still driving the Jimmy occasionally, I really want to break out the RFX-8140 and match to the 2 800a2's I have since I saw that whole capacitor thread someone posted recently. I wanted to keep everything in the same era. Right now the Jimmy is radio-less. The RF manual diagram shows the 800a2 having 2 power/grounds inputs, 1 for the power and ground, and the other is connected to a RF cap. I want to do 1 farad for each amp. The only thing is the manual says "4V input".

So now it looks like I have 2 head units I can not use unless I have amps with 8V inputs?!

-Frank

Have you actually measured the voltage coming out of them?

You might not actually ever get 8v out of them.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

You'll be fine with 6v, you can always turn the volume down.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I'm getting 4.11V per channel with the RFX-8140. The manual states 8.5V?

I'm getting 2.6V per channel with the Eclipse 5442. The manual states 5V?

I'm using disc A, track 12, 50Hz test tone, from the SMD CC-1 kit.

I'm running it off a 12.65V motorcycle battery. 12V is 12V. I have a meter on the battery, and

the test tone dropped it to 12.5V.

I'm not sure if the rated voltage is a sum of the 2 channels or is that "per channel"?

I'm trying to google the info now.

Motorccity, yes it's in the on-line manual, as a dashed line "Optional capacitor".

-Frank

Archived