LoudPackRacing Posted October 12, 2015 Report Posted October 12, 2015 I want to retu me my amps and want to know should I use a 0db , -5db, or -10 db for my bass amps and should I use a 0db or -5db for my highs amp? Also can someone explain the difference in each?
reedal Posted October 12, 2015 Report Posted October 12, 2015 This is just my opinion/summary: -0dB is the safest. You won't have to adjust your gain much, if at all. Your amp won't be clipping unless the source music is already clipped. Used more for sound quality than getting loud -5dB is still safe for most all clean music. Output will be louder than with -0dB. Playing music that is recorded between -0dB and -5dB can introduce clipping. -10dB is playing king of the hill on the edge of a cliff. It will be louder/have more output. It can be dangerous for your subs as most music is not recorded with -10dB attenuation. You have to know your music, know your equipment, and have a good sense of smell, if you don't have an OM-1 to assist you with knowing if you're clipping with that song. I would suggest doing a search for tones on here (I believe snow drifter has some?) and find a 40hz @ -7.5dB for your sub amp(s), and start with a -2.5dB 1khz tone for your mids and highs, and if it's not enough, use a -5dB. SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
LoudPackRacing Posted October 12, 2015 Author Report Posted October 12, 2015 This is just my opinion/summary: -0dB is the safest. You won't have to adjust your gain much, if at all. Your amp won't be clipping unless the source music is already clipped. Used more for sound quality than getting loud -5dB is still safe for most all clean music. Output will be louder than with -0dB. Playing music that is recorded between -0dB and -5dB can introduce clipping. -10dB is playing king of the hill on the edge of a cliff. It will be louder/have more output. It can be dangerous for your subs as most music is not recorded with -10dB attenuation. You have to know your music, know your equipment, and have a good sense of smell, if you don't have an OM-1 to assist you with knowing if you're clipping with that song. I would suggest doing a search for tones on here (I believe snow drifter has some?) and find a 40hz @ -7.5dB for your sub amp(s), and start with a -2.5dB 1khz tone for your mids and highs, and if it's not enough, use a -5dB. Well I listen to all rap and hip hop so I'm guessing 0db will be the best? What about if I want to listen to decaf music?
reedal Posted October 12, 2015 Report Posted October 12, 2015 What are your goals for your system? Loud when you need/want it? Or just low level quality of sound? SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
LoudPackRacing Posted October 12, 2015 Author Report Posted October 12, 2015 What are your goals for your system? Loud when you need/want it? Or just low level quality of sound? Yes I want it to be loud when I need it.
CleanSierra Posted October 12, 2015 Report Posted October 12, 2015 0 dB overlap will be quiet as Hell and I wouldn't recommend it at all for your bass amp. At least a -5 overlap and I personally run that 40 Hz at -7.5 from SnowDrifter here on the site. If you look him up, go to the bottom of a comment he's made and the link for the tones is there. Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
reedal Posted October 12, 2015 Report Posted October 12, 2015 Yep. Use the -7.5dB, just keep in mind not all music is created equal. You should be fine for the most part though. With decaf just don't go crazy for songs that are under enclosure tuning SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
LoudPackRacing Posted October 12, 2015 Author Report Posted October 12, 2015 So -2.5db will be fine for mids and highs?
CleanSierra Posted October 12, 2015 Report Posted October 12, 2015 I use -5 on my highs as I have a lot of bass to keep up with. Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
CleanSierra Posted October 12, 2015 Report Posted October 12, 2015 Just use a setting, listen to it and see what you think. Start with -2.5 and see if it's loud enough and clear enough. If you need more, see if -5 works for you. If you have a DD-1, it will take you no time at all to switch back and forth between settings. Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.