Second Skin Audio

Mounting Amp onto Subwoofer?

sniperlif3

So I have a basic prebuilt box made by Ground Shaker (NP215B) which a Dual slot ported box, a Hifonics 1600.1D amplifier, and 2 Alpine Type R 15" subs. The probelm I am having is that my current vehicle (Nissan Skyline) does not have a good area to be able to fit the amplifier easily. It seems to large to fit under the front seats, the tray next to the battery is too small, and I just straight up can't think of another mounting solution. Keep in mind, the subwoofer box is ported and has 2 seperate chambers so it has 2 ported mdf walls as well as a center mdf wall supporting the large end.

I have heard many people talking about not recommending it due to vibrations. My thoughts of wanting to mount it to the box is that the box is carpet which would lower the vibrations from the car as well as the box. Of course I would add a little more material to soak up more.

But what exactly are the issues you could run into? Should the amp be on a flat surface? I believe I read that in the Hifonics manual. Would there be a mounting issue later with the box only being 11/16 or 3/4" MDF? Would vibrations actually cause that much of a headache?

For some reason I have not been able to find any proof that mounting an amp to a box causes more issues than mounting it to the vehicle except for mounting hardware wanting to wiggle loose. Mounting on a piece of metal anywhere on the car vibrates much worse than a box of wood.

Anything would be helpful to my decision.

If you are going to mount it to the box use rubber isolators to keep some of the vibration down.

Ive seen more than enough amps rattled to pieces from being mounted on the box,yes everything else vibrates but not the same as the box.It can and will cause solder joints to fail,things come loose etc etc.

Would you say that since the box is built with multiple points of support in the center would that be helping the vibrations from flexing the wood enough to loosen the amp hold downs?

Mounting an amplifier directly to an enclosure is a bad idea in general. Simple.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I've done it in the past before I knew different. I wouldn't do it unless you absolutely have to have heard of people rattling amps apart but if you do. Mount it to some sort of rubber isolator to absorb the vibrations.

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

Not sounding good. I was hoping I could get some mixed reasoning. I have been also contacting Skyline owners to see what they think about locations for the amp. Sadly, sound systems in Skyline's are not common. Kinda frowned upon, but I love my audio just as much as I love my speed.

If you could post pictures of the space it'd probably help.As far as places to mount them go,your imagination is the limit,you could do a false floor,a rack to hold them upright the shop I worked for even mounted amps on the roof trimmed in a custom suede and alcantra headliner on a RS4.

Archived