lucifer Posted October 29, 2015 Report Posted October 29, 2015 Mechman 270 alt big 3 Xs power 4900 Mb quart onyx 2000 x1 @1 ohm rms 2 Alpine type r 12's wired to 1 ohm Kenwood excelion deck My subs at low volume no matter where I have my remote gain at will cut almost and sometimes completely off .I have no problems as of yet at high volume and they sound great . My amp remains on when this happens and isn't dropping off into the protection mode . Checked my gains and deck setting + grounds found no issues. Checked my rca's no issues . Ohmed out my subs and found no issues either. I must be missing something . Any and all advise appricated .
reedal Posted October 29, 2015 Report Posted October 29, 2015 Unplug the remote gain and see if it still does it. If you have another amp to wire the subs to, then do it and see if it still cuts out, or if you have different subs try them. Try one sub at a time on the current amp. Basically anything you can remove or replace to narrow down where the issue is, do it (head unit, remote gain/bass knob, subwoofers, amplifier, swap RCA's completely, different speaker wire to subs, etc.) SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
Keagan-Z06 Posted October 29, 2015 Report Posted October 29, 2015 I have had this happen to me as well at times, very intermittent though. On my Pioneer HU, sometimes I would be at 11/40 volume wise, would need to raise it to maybe 18-19 to get the subs to kick back in. Hasn't happened for the past couple weeks though. Looking to see what might be the issue as well. HU: Pioneer 4100 NEXSubs: 2 Rockford Fosgate R2SD4-10"Amp: Rockford Fosgate P500-1bd wired @ 1ohmFront: Polk Audio Components DB6501Amp: Pioneer GM A5602 wired @ 4 ohmRear: Polk Audio Coaxials db651s(2) OM-1s, (1) VM-1
bassinyerface Posted October 29, 2015 Report Posted October 29, 2015 Almost sounds like maybe the subs resting ohm is below 1 ohm, thus causing the amp to go in to protect. maybe check resistance with a multi meter with he subs not playing at all and see where your at?? I understand as a speaker plays the resistance changes, so maybe at low volumes with your box and all it just plays below 1 ohm for some reason. 2003 f150, 2 ab hd 15 on brutus 2400.1, kinetik batt, big 3, knu wire, image dynamics cxs 6.5 with ppi tweets, pioneer 1din and clarion eq.
lucifer Posted October 29, 2015 Author Report Posted October 29, 2015 Today I removed my rcas from the sub amp and plugged in my cell phone with my favorite bass song . At first everything sounded okay then shit got real. Suddenly my sub output stopped and I definitely heard a harsh skratching noise being outputted. Fiddled with my remote gain and my volume and they jumped back to life . I pulled the subs from the box and ohm tested them again to find out I must have an intermediat short in the coil . I.e. I tested each coil seperatly everything's fine . Moved the cone a few times manually tested again and found the short . Weird . Now for upgrades I guess fi audio 12s or maybe some 15s.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.