Second Skin Audio

Dual 12 in DC Audio XL set up enclosure

dbackfan12

Yeah just about everything I listen to is rap so 29 hz should continue to work well for me. By the way, are your level 6s in a slot port enclosure?

Yea my port is 46" x 4" and about 34" long (i think, can't remember exactly) and right near 11.5cu.ft. net volume. Those XL's of your's should sound bad ass tho, they aren't anything to sneeze at by any means. Talk to Triticum for recommendations on volume and port size tho, he knows his stuff.

Wow, that thing must move air like crazy. I was thinking maybe 3.5 cu ft net will do well as the recommended size is 1.5 cubes per sub and I don't want to go too much higher than that or else I'll end up blowing one of them out like I did about a month ago. Thankfully DC audio has great customer service and showed mercy for my ignorant choice to use an enclosure 1 cubic foot more than the recommended spec. When it comes to port area though I honestly don't have a good understanding of how to determine it as I have read up on a couple of websites and fell like I am getting mixed answer as some say to go based off of the power you will be using and other say to go based off fo the internal volume of the enclosure.

From a pure SPL standpoint, I have been able to get louder with a regular ported wall in my own vehicles, but that is not always the case. Some of the loudest SPL vehicles out there right now are 4th and 6th order vehicles.

For a ported enclosure with XL 12s, you are going to be looking at around 1.5-1.75ft3 net per sub.

For a 4th order exclosure with XL 12s, you are going to want about 1ft3 net per sub sealed and then 2ft3 net ported per sub.

Here is the thing with a 4th order, it is not a magic box. Sure when done right they sound amazing, but to do one right takes alot of testing and tuning to really dial it in. Ported enclosures on the other hand are as straight forward as they come.

Also when looking at a ported box, you are going to want to get somewhere in the 14in2 per ft3 range for port area. 12-16 is the standard, I like to be right in the middle of that personally.

With that being said would the optimal port area be between 42-56 sq in for a 3.5 net cubic ft enclosure?

I would suggest using no less than 80 sq in of port area.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Wow that''s quite a bit of area. With a box 13.5 in tall after 1.5 inches in displacement from the mdf I would need the port to be nearly six inches wide. Where did you come up with the 80 Sq in of atea from if you don't mind me asking

I was actually just discussing port area for two XL 12"s in another thread. Based on the size of the box and the amount of the power you are going to be running you are going to need to run that much area to keep your port velocity at reasonable levels. You can see estimations of what your port area is going to be with box modeling software like WinISD or BassBoxPro.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived