Mack187Murder Posted November 7, 2015 Author Report Posted November 7, 2015 Also I've read to many amp alternators are bad for driving around town and big trips and don't produce fuck all at an idle.. My total system rms watts when done will be 5000. Since I already have 2x 3300 amp xs power batteries and all 0 gauge wiring plus big three. Should i upgrade my alternator from a 140 amp to a 240, 250, or 270? .
Triticum Agricolam Posted November 8, 2015 Report Posted November 8, 2015 OK and since I'm strapping two 1600 watt rms amps @ 1 ohm which have a master and slave switch on them does that change them from 1 ohm individually to 2 ohm combined? Or does it stay at 1. And if so it sounds like i should order the 2 ohm dual voice coil sp4 instead of the dual 1 ohm If you are strapping two amps, than the 1 ohm voice coil sub is what you want. You will wire the voice coils in series to make a 2 ohm final load, and then each amp sees half of that, so 1 ohm to each amp. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Mack187Murder Posted November 9, 2015 Author Report Posted November 9, 2015 OK and since I'm strapping two 1600 watt rms amps @ 1 ohm which have a master and slave switch on them does that change them from 1 ohm individually to 2 ohm combined? Or does it stay at 1. And if so it sounds like i should order the 2 ohm dual voice coil sp4 instead of the dual 1 ohm If you are strapping two amps, than the 1 ohm voice coil sub is what you want. You will wire the voice coils in series to make a 2 ohm final load, and then each amp sees half of that, so 1 ohm to each amp. K trit I had trouble with winsidpro. Figured I'd try bass box provided. So made some headway. Question Things I'm unsure of that were calculated for me Xmech (fi don't give me it so I calculated) Vd (doesn't seem to match the volume displacement of drive fi states) Pe ( I assume this is peak watts. I gave the peak of the amplifier running the driver which is 5440 dynamic power. Rms of amp is 3200. And the sub only says 3000 wrms not peak so yeah confused) Le mh (not sure how to enter that or what it is So that's as far as I've gotten. .
Joe X Posted November 9, 2015 Report Posted November 9, 2015 Pe is RMS watts of a single driver so 3000W or whatever you want to push, Vd is mechanical displacement not driver displacement that's why they won't match, Le is coil inductance -never mind no effect within the bandwidth of interest. Xmech - never mind you want to be below Xmax.
Mack187Murder Posted November 9, 2015 Author Report Posted November 9, 2015 OK well I know the rms of the drive is 3000. But these subs can take up to 5k rms and it won't phase them. So should I input 3000 wrms or should input what the amplifier peaks at? Or should I put what the amp rms is .
db_speakerbox Posted November 10, 2015 Report Posted November 10, 2015 I have built several sp4 18 boxes. I can tell you from my experience closer to 6 cubes is louder but rolls off the lows quicker. Closer to 8 cubes plays lows much better but at the expensive of loudness. Port volume, cabin and design will effect the output and bandwidth, but this should atleast give you a guideline. Also from my experience they tend to favor large port area. Don't skimp port just to be bigger.
db_speakerbox Posted November 10, 2015 Report Posted November 10, 2015 Oh forgot about alternators. Sure if you have multiple large output alternators they can adversely effect everyday life driving. And yes usually low output at idle. However, a single upgraded alternator say 270a range you will never notice any difference. Also to note when you are looking at alternator specs, the rpm listed is alternator rpm not engine rpm.
Mack187Murder Posted November 10, 2015 Author Report Posted November 10, 2015 Allright db thanks for the input. The thing is I'm only willing to sacrifice 6 cubes for now. I guess I could flip up the double seat and make an 8 cube box. And just throw the sub in my truck box if I ever needed room for passengers. My truck bed is carpeted. I do want to hit them lows Is 3300 watts rms enough power to make one sp4 18 sound good in a 8 cube box. Have u ever tested the hz and dbs on that 8 cube box? I'd like to tune around 27 , 28 hz .
Joe X Posted November 10, 2015 Report Posted November 10, 2015 OK well I know the rms of the drive is 3000. But these subs can take up to 5k rms and it won't phase them. So should I input 3000 wrms or should input what the amplifier peaks at? Or should I put what the amp rms is Put whatever you think you are going to run, if the sub actually takes it or not is a different matter.
db_speakerbox Posted November 10, 2015 Report Posted November 10, 2015 Allright db thanks for the input. The thing is I'm only willing to sacrifice 6 cubes for now. I guess I could flip up the double seat and make an 8 cube box. And just throw the sub in my truck box if I ever needed room for passengers. My truck bed is carpeted. I do want to hit them lows Is 3300 watts rms enough power to make one sp4 18 sound good in a 8 cube box. Have u ever tested the hz and dbs on that 8 cube box? I'd like to tune around 27 , 28 hz 6 cubes tuned low will still do fine. Like I said everything is a balance and compromise. My 8 cube was tuned at 27hz. Had it in a land cruiser sub up port up. Peaked at 31hz and metered 146db at the headrest on a sundown 2k 1 batt stock alt. Btw sub sounded great on less than 1000w. Don't get too concerned on power.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.