Exploring a new home theater set up, need help

...Thank you Triticum, I was originally thinking surround, but really I don't see that as being a viable option for me. SO I think a two way may be the best way to go. I had just always heard, from what I've read anyway, that the center speaker was the most important piece because it centers the sound with the screen and really makes the combination more realistic. But I hear what you're saying.

Yeah I can definitely see why people would put so much emphasis on the center channel. In any situation, they won't hurt, and with room layouts where they are needed, they can REALLY make a difference. They aren't needed in every situation though and are a place where you can save some money if you don't need one. You can always start with just a left and right and add the center channel later if you need it too.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

...Thank you Triticum, I was originally thinking surround, but really I don't see that as being a viable option for me. SO I think a two way may be the best way to go. I had just always heard, from what I've read anyway, that the center speaker was the most important piece because it centers the sound with the screen and really makes the combination more realistic. But I hear what you're saying.

Yeah I can definitely see why people would put so much emphasis on the center channel. In any situation, they won't hurt, and with room layouts where they are needed, they can REALLY make a difference. They aren't needed in every situation though and are a place where you can save some money if you don't need one. You can always start with just a left and right and add the center channel later if you need it too.

Really? Maybe its because I run Pro logic or THX, mostly THX but when they mix the surround track I HAVE to have a center channel. In fact a good 90% of the movie mix comes from the center. All your dialogue (in those specific mixes) comes from the center and I have ended up actually spending more and more money on getting a better center.

That being said with the right surround "mix" ( I keep using that word but its not really correct) I bet you could get away with a nice image using just a 2.1 setup. Although really I think one the biggest issues is processing anymore which when you have a line array you almost HAVE to go with a DSP.

Yeah you are totally right, DSP is just about required with a line array.

As far as the center channel thing goes, if you aren't using one its important to setup your receiver with a "phantom center". That mixes the center channel content into the left and right mains. Without that you would be missing out on 90% of the movie, like you said.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

I was thinking about using the MiniDSP products for a DSP. I've also been looking at an Onkyo Reciever. So i'll do some more research on those things. Thank you for your assistance guys.

Almost all receiver support using a phantom center, though you may want to verify before you purchase anything.

I've got a MiniDSP and its awesome, amazingly powerful little tool for only $100. I use mine to crossover between my mains and my subs in my home setup. Works fantastic.

Builds:

Make sure you go DIY for a sub. You have the car audio bug any of the Off the shelf subs or ID subs will suck!

i'm in the process of designing an enclosure for an 18" SI HT to be run off an iNuke 3000DSP. I originally wanted to buy a subwoofer online and be done but after alot of research and forum travel i realized that would not make me happy.

Edit:

With the inuke DSP amp you don't need the mini dsp to crossover the subwoofer. The only negative to the inukes are the fan noise, but thats an easy mod. They put out alot of power for the money.

I plan on setting my HPF at 20Hz and then tweaking the xovers to let it play down to 16hz.

Archived