Second Skin Audio

Best box design and positioning for dual p3's in cargo van

artem.og

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to the forum and fairly new to car audio, but figured this would be the best place to ask my questions. What I would like to know is what would be the best box design/dimensions and box positioning for my situation. My current setup is dual rf 2ohm 12 inch p3's in some standard ported box, powered by a t1000-1bdcp, firing toward the driver seat, all in a 2014 extended mercedes sprinter van that has about 550 cu ft of cargo volume (my work vehicle). Oh and it's connected to the factory head unit by a line out converter. Keep in mind i'm new to car audio so don't be too harsh on me if I made some massive rookie mistakes on my current setup, just give me some constructive criticism :) As far as dimension limitations, I don't really have any unless the new box is going in the same position as the current one, which in that case my height will be limited by the shelf shown in the picture, but I can make adjustments if needed. Tuning wise, I don't really know how that works, Id like a design for more focused towards the lows though. But since I know it might be hard to get good sound in such a big car, I guess anything that will give me optimal performance will be priority. And last, I would like to know where the best place to place the box would be in a car like this.

I included a pic of my current setup, and another pic of the car (which isn't mine, but same model). Looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

EpbkvsF.jpg?2

mercedes-benz-sprinter-cargo-van-3500-04

Anyone?

If it were me, I would put one of those roll down walls in right where the shelf cuts off so I would have less air space for my sound waves to fill. But I'm just a noob with random thoughts. No factual information here.

04trailblazer

XS d3400

XS xp3000

Pioneer 80prs

2 pairs of DD AW6.5 mids

2 pairs of DD AT28 tweeters

DD SS4A

DD M1D

DD 3518sc in custom kerf port box

2 runs Tspec 0/1 wire

Anyone?

If it were me, I would put one of those roll down walls in right where the shelf cuts off so I would have less air space for my sound waves to fill. But I'm just a noob with random thoughts. No factual information here.

I would but I actually always move throughout the van through the space between the seats.

Would a t line be much better than a standard ported box? Does anyone have or know how to design one for dual 12s tuned to like 30hz? Or would that be huge?

T-lines don't have to be huge, it just depends on how they are designed. T-lines and ported boxes really do mostly the same thing, they just do it in a different way (1/4 wave resonator vs a Helmholtz resonator). When they are sized and tuned similarly their performance is VERY similar. Either could work well for your application. I could help you with a design for a T-line if you want to go that direction.

I also think a horn would be really awesome :-)

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Would a t line be much better than a standard ported box? Does anyone have or know how to design one for dual 12s tuned to like 30hz? Or would that be huge?

T-lines don't have to be huge, it just depends on how they are designed. T-lines and ported boxes really do mostly the same thing, they just do it in a different way (1/4 wave resonator vs a Helmholtz resonator). When they are sized and tuned similarly their performance is VERY similar. Either could work well for your application. I could help you with a design for a T-line if you want to go that direction.

I also think a horn would be really awesome :-)

hmm ok, what would be the difference between horn and the others?

Horns are more efficient at turning watts into sound. You will get louder on the same power than you would with a ported box or T-line. The price you pay for this additional efficiency is size. Horns can get to be pretty big.

There are also sound quality reasons why horns can be superior to direct radiator (sealed, ported, t-lines) designs, but that gets to be a pretty subjective topic.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Horns are more efficient at turning watts into sound. You will get louder on the same power than you would with a ported box or T-line. The price you pay for this additional efficiency is size. Horns can get to be pretty big.

There are also sound quality reasons why horns can be superior to direct radiator (sealed, ported, t-lines) designs, but that gets to be a pretty subjective topic.

alright, how so big are we talking to house the dual p3's? Estimate?

Archived