Sonic Electronix

how come no one ever admits they like their bass to be heard down the block?

After getting past the obvious social answer, I look at the engineering of the system. If it can be heard outside of the vehicle while sealed up you are losing very large amounts of acoustic energy due to the resonances of the panels of your vehicle and leaving those untended is just lousy craftsmanship.

I can not find one situation where I would be happy with being able to hear car audio over a distance, unless designed specifically as a portable PA system.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

This might seem like a stupid topic but I'm seriously curious. Why the dishonesty? I mean we put mutiple 15's or 18's in our cars with mutiple kilowatts of power and then I see people actually try and say it's not about being heard from down the block. I see people on here actually get shamed if they ask how to be loud or get louder outside the car.

Ok, yes it's obnoxious and immature to roll around bassing but I'm willing to openly admit I like it to be loud outside my car and even have my friends drive my truck around the block at full tilt so I can hear how much louder it is whenever I make upgrades. Let's be honest here, we like to show it off. And believe me I know most people aren't impressed, but I get random people come up to me in the most random places and ask about my system. I've even met some cool ass local people in the scene I would have never met if I wasn't being an a obnoxious basshead.

On the flip side of that, when I hear other people bangin' my ears instantly perk up and I get excited, like trying to guess what they might be running or if it's a car I've seen before in my area. I'll even flag them down if I can.

So anyway, why do people gotta front? What's wrong wrong with wanting to be loud? How is it different that a loud Harley or muscle car? Why is that somehow more socially acceptable?

PS before I'm called a punk teen, I'm actually a tax paying 36yrs old husband, father of 3 and a home owner and I've been anoyimg my neighbors since the 90's

because i build for me to hear not for everyone else to hear..

This^^^

I built my truck for ME and to demo friend and fellow bassheads. I also built it to compete in a very specific class in MECA. I don't bang around daily unless the coast is clear.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I just think at least *some* are being dishonest. I think we all like loud bass but since it's socially unacceptable to ride around with a loud stereo, "like a 16yr old with a clapped out Honda who wants attention" the popular cop out, high horse answer is that "oh it's just for demos" or "yeah I play it loud, but with the widows up" like 150db's is going to be silenced by 1/8" glass. There are people here who bump their system, with the windows down GTFO

My truck is a 150+ ride and with Windows up, you'd not know it. I'm deadened extremely well and all you'll hear outside the vehicle are some slight rattles like door handles, gas tank shield, etc.

See, I had a 150db system that I use to compete with, but I never enjoyed driving around with it at full tilt. I mean fuck, I'm not deaf, some high's, some bass, good to go. I have buddies who freeway drive and bump full tilt, it's just not my style but I liked putting up 150+ at the local comp.

I'm seeing you post more again. You thinking about getting back in the bass game?

Not gunna lie, I like to be heard from a distance. That being said as others have already mentioned, I don't bump in school zones or residential neighborhoods. Or red lights.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Exactly. I think you overestimate how much people care. In 20yrs I've never had someone complain. Does that mean they like it? No. But they tune it out and go one with their day. And the people who are pulling their hair out over it, are probably grumpy people who are annoyed by anything they can find to be annoyed over.

just because they dont complain doesnt mean you dont annoy them.. some people just dont complain in your face but dont have a problem writing a letter to law makers who then make laws against car audio.. here it got to a point where your audio got confiscated..

+1 with him, therefore point made.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Illinois: Cars with Loud Stereos to be Seized
A new Rockford, Illinois ordinance allows police to seize any car based on the accusation that it played loud music.

rockfordsub.jpgThis month the city of Rockford, Illinois will begin allowing residents to call the police and have any vehicle seized on the mere accusation that the car used a loud stereo system. Under an ordinance adopted August 20, police can impound any vehicle if police believe it is likely that it played loud music. Cars taken will be held until fines of $150 to $750 are paid -- in addition to a $75 towing fee, a $15 to $20 per day storage fee and a $60 per hour charge if the police officer has to wait more than an hour for the tow truck.

"No person shall operate... any device used to... reproduce any recorded sound if the device is located... in any motor vehicle on the public way and the sound can be heard from 75 feet or more from the device," Ordinance 2007-158-0 states in defining the new crime.

There is no requirement that a police officer responding to a complaint objectively measure sound levels with electronic equipment or even personally witness an alleged offense. Instead, the ordinance states that "hearsay evidence shall be admissible" and that property will be seized upon the assertion of probable cause.

If a motorist believes his car has been unlawfully towed on a Friday after 5pm, he may challenge the taking by "depositing a written request for a hearing in the silver drop box located behind city hall," according to the ordinance. The city must then respond by the following Wednesday. If the registered owner was not driving at the time the car was taken, he will be mailed a letter within ten days. After this time he is given less than fifteen days to request a hearing. The city may then wait another 45 days to schedule a hearing while storage fees accumulate up to $1100.

A hearing officer designated by Rockford will decide under a preponderance of evidence standard whether it is likely the motorist is guilty, in which case the hearing officer's employers will collect the fine and fee revenue from the motorist. If the vehicle's owner does not receive the mailed notice or cannot pay the fees within 30 days, the city will confiscate the vehicle permanently.

Archived