Second Skin Audio

12" Sub Replacements

RyanRosier

And I would disagree about your notion on Kicker. Kicker receives plenty of flack online now since they're sold at Best Buy and now WalMart. People love to hate on anything big box and/or anything popular. But Kicker makes entry level all the way up to high friggin end. Their Q-class amplifiers are, arguably, the most advanced car audio amplifiers on the market.

Two CompR's on 800WRMS in a single cab pickup should be enough to shake the mirrors silly. Like 100 bucks each.

Though you might want to measure the mounting depth yourself before you buy anything, as it would seem the specs on that listing aren't to be trusted.

I mean that's just what I've read, I love my comp S as of right now. I cant see out of my review and my side mirrors do shake themselves silly. I just know it could be more is all. And The comp R's cheapest I could find was $150 a piece on eBay. And I was able to fit my old Comps in there with a 5 7/8ths mounting depth. So, somethings may not be entirely true for the good and bad. (Good as in maybe got more depth than I think and bad as less airspace than I thought.)

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

lol everyone is entitled to their opinion. Nowhere did I say everything they make is gold. I said the opposite in fact. Entry level up to high end. But with only ~1cuft of net airspace and 100 bucks each, they ain't a bad option. Yeah, he can spend more. But what do you have that will work better in 1cuft, actually be worth x2 the price and fit in that mounting depth?

Oh and yes, I did sell and install Kicker gear for years. I don't any longer, but only because I've taken a different path in my career. More of a suit and tie man now. But even if I was, I'm not making money off this kid's purchase, so why would I care? To give Kicker 20 bucks profit? LOL

Since you dealed in Kicker, give me your honest opinion of how the Comp R, Comp VR and the Comp VX stand up to each other. Then how is their Comp Q line. base your opinions off the 12" woofer sizes. Quality, What will get louder, Best bang for the buck, ya know and so on?

Then how's their DX and CX line of amps?

I love Kicker, but after using their ZR models and SX and KX (old school) versions those just all seem junk to me. Kicker imho used to be pretty dang good with their amps. But they didn't have an entry level it seemed. You bought a ZR1000 from them? that dude was gonna put out 2k watts give or take. But now they got these weightless amps and are 14" by 7" and do 1500. Like they're new cheap stuff just seem really really under par to me.

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

The DX and CX line of amps are their entry level big box stuff man. And they're both essentially the same. They'll do rated power cleanly (I've benched them several times). Example, the CX600.1 will do ~680RMS@2ohm under 1% THD. Not much in the way of bells and whistles and might not be the best bang for the buck, but they do put in work. If you've got the money, step up your amp game because the CX and DX are the cheaper lines. Heck, last time I saw a DX amp, it didn't even have a variable crossover. Just built-in non-defeatable 80Hz low pass. EDIT: Looks like they do now.

Doesn't look like you're gonna have the depth for the VR or VX, but yeah, they're certainly beefier than the CompR. The CompQ line is a whole different can of worms. The entire Q-class stands out from everything else they make. First, you cannot buy them online. Only select authorized mom&pop shops. Second, they ain't cheap. And I really doubt it's worth the high price tag of a CompQ if you're just going to throw it in that prefab box surround it with other mid-tier equipment. Not to mention the 12" is over 7" deep.

You really gotta double check that mounting depth man. That's limiting your options here.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

That comp q looks like a $500 mistake for whoever buys it, you could certainly do much better for $500 than that overhyped garbage.

They sure do use a lot of fancy words to try and upsell it though don't they?

Very gimmicky.

He for sure is very limited by the space and the Compr does seem to fit the bill for his requirements I'm sure op would be happy with that choice since he's already happy with his lower end kicker subs.

I'll take the kicker amps all day but I'd pass on the subs for myself.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

The DX and CX line of amps are their entry level big box stuff man. And they're both essentially the same. They'll do rated power cleanly (I've benched them several times). Example, the CX600.1 will do ~680RMS@2ohm under 1% THD. Not much in the way of bells and whistles and might not be the best bang for the buck, but they do put in work. If you've got the money, step up your amp game because the CX and DX are the cheaper lines. Heck, last time I saw a DX amp, it didn't even have a variable crossover. Just built-in non-defeatable 80Hz low pass. EDIT: Looks like they do now.

Doesn't look like you're gonna have the depth for the VR or VX, but yeah, they're certainly beefier than the CompR. The CompQ line is a whole different can of worms. The entire Q-class stands out from everything else they make. First, you cannot buy them online. Only select authorized mom&pop shops. Second, they ain't cheap. And I really doubt it's worth the high price tag of a CompQ if you're just going to throw it in that prefab box surround it with other mid-tier equipment. Not to mention the 12" is over 7" deep.

You really gotta double check that mounting depth man. That's limiting your options here.

Now I was just asking for a point of reference here, I would love to run any of the subs except maybe VR because it seems everyone around here has em and under powered at that. Just talked with a guy a minute ago and he was shocked my SX650.1 Blew away his 5000 watt boss. I didn't even begin to explain why becuase I had to get the pizza home. But good information, and the amp is was just asking about them, going from my Kicker SX to them would definatly be a down grade :pardon: not to bag on kicker but it's the truth. I like them as a company alot

That comp q looks like a $500 mistake for whoever buys it, you could certainly do much better for $500 than that overhyped garbage.

They sure do use a lot of fancy words to try and upsell it though don't they?

Very gimmicky.

He for sure is very limited by the space and the Compr does seem to fit the bill for his requirements I'm sure op would be happy with that choice since he's already happy with his lower end kicker subs.

I'll take the kicker amps all day but I'd pass on the subs for myself.

That maybe true.

And hey, not that I'm only ever gonna run Kicker stuff I just asked about some 12' replacment subs and this is where we got to. ya know? I'd love to run some Sundown, DD, Fi, heck even some SMD -18's. But with a regular cab it just wouldn't work ya know? Their amp that I have used though surpass everything around here (old school that is) I had some Punch 150's and a Punch 45. A alpine 500 something or another. and both my Kicker amps have smoked all them. I'd bet money and the amp my kicker ZR240 could smoke just about any 500 watt amp these days. Cause the 240 infact did 500 at 2 ohms mono.

Archived