Surround sound help

Hey guys, So I'm running wires in the walls for my surround sound in my living room. It's an old house and been a lot of measuring so far. I have to come up from the basement rather than drop down from the upstairs. So I have my 4 holes drilled in the floor for each corner, and now need to bring the wire up approx 8' to where the surround speakers will be. does anyone have any tips on how to get the fish tape from top to the bottom through a 1" hole? or are there other tricks that would be helpful? I'm struggling here. Thanks!

I'd always put a fake wall plate at the bottom of that wall area under the speaker location and fish tape from there ... Wish there was an easier way to do it.

Just pray you don't have insulation in those walls ...

Good luck

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I'd always put a fake wall plate at the bottom of that wall area under the speaker location and fish tape from there ... Wish there was an easier way to do it.

Just pray you don't have insulation in those walls ...

Good luck

Thankfully I dont have insulation in the walls (asbestos siding FTW/L) so the space is a void. I can get the tape all the way down and all the way up, it's just a matter of being able to get it through the hole i have drilled in the floor, or somehow being able to grab it up top through the 1/2" hole i made for the wires to pass through. I'm trying to do this as cleanly as possible without any extra plates. Maybe if i use an articulated magnet of some sort, feed it up through the hole on the bottom to grab and guide the fish tape?

Coat hangers ...

I use to use coax (thick cable) to run wall fish.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

just thought i should let everyone know, I ended up grabbing my jigsaw and cutting a hole in the wall big enough to get my hand in, rummaged around in the insulation, found the fishtape and have the wire for my first speaker run. If you have to fish up from a basement or crawl space, cutting an access hole is seriously the fastest and easiest route. Don't be afraid of mud work and sanding afterwards.

I ran wall fish for many years with cable TV and home theater ... The more you work at it, the easier it gets ...

Less money you have to share with a Sheetrock contractor ... LOL

I ran wall fish for many years with cable TV and home theater ... The more you work at it, the easier it gets ...

Less money you have to share with a Sheetrock contractor ... LOL

yeah im hoping the remaining 4 speakers go smoother lol. i only have one more insulated cavity to fish through so hopefully the 3 on interior walls should be easier. the cutting of the hole is made no easier by the fact my walls are slath and plaster :(

Archived