Diesel Batteries?

didn't but a mechanic I know, the other day told me and swore by that if you wired them together it would increase their voltage.. And like I was like wha..? No..? Wait..?

Please take what this "mechanic" said to u with a grain of salt

you will FRY your entire electrical if u wire two batteries in series (24 volts) if ur electrical is made to run off 12 volts

wiring two batteries in parrallel (the diesel truck is already wired this way) just adds the ampere hour (amps) of both batteries but is still the same 12 volts

The truck already has two batteries so ur good there and already wired in parrallel, just do ur big 3 upgrade like i mentioned in earlier comment and ur golden :)

im a heavy equipment mechanic with experience in 12 and 24 volt tractor electrical systems, trust me you DONT wanna get ur wiring mixed up lol

You're killin me OP.

Please read through this website like three times...

http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/wiring-your-battery-bank-in-series-parallel-and-series-parallel

http://www.bcae1.com/

theres a whole section about Series and Parrallel wiring. The three ways of wiring things...in most cases is Series, Parallel and Series-Parallel.

that dodge is wired in parallel....the electrical system is not rated for 24v and you'll blow fuses or worse fry electronics if you run 24v....its not a military or industrial truck. It runs on 12-15v MAX.

Read...understand....THEN do. In that order so you don't fuck the charging system of a 60K$+ truck. If you need more VOLTAGE...which could be possible look at the amount of voltage is being put out by the stock alternator at idle and then under load...thats probably where there is an issue.

Just like aculous said READ READ READ there are plent of old posts oh here that have already answered basiclly every question u have asked since u joined. Keep up ur research and write them down if it helps you. You need to understand the basics first like wiring a subwoofers in parrallel or series, how to use a DMM to check voltages and voltage drops ECT. Its not a good practice to start handing out business cards say ur a pro audio installer when u dont know the basics yet.

ALL OF US are constantly learning new things with the evolution of technology and its 100% OK to ask for help, trust me you WILL get correct answers here but its a great idea to do ur own research from old post on this forum . Im on here 3-4 times a week reading topics and post from many many years ago and it has helped me soooo much that i find 90% of my answers with out even asking.

Dont get discouraged and please understand we want to help you, its a good idea to try and attempt the research first before you ask.

those chevy ford dodge diesel batteries are not some unicorn magic batteries they are all 12 volt just like a car, they just typicly have a higher aH (ampere hour) rating and might be a deep cycle or "dual purpose" battery because diesel engines need more amps to turn the engine over thats one of the reasons they have two batteries.

Okay, post em here, or in the member build log?

start a build log if you haven't

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ parallel does not change voltage, only amps. now if they were wired in series than yes 6 volts but i highly doubt they are wired in series.

It was already answered last month like 4 times.... its two 12 volt batteries wired from the factory in parallel. There is nothing special about diesel truck batteries other than maybe slightly higher CCA rating or aH rating thats it. It has two because its a diesel and diesel engine have high compression and the starter needs more amps to turn a high compression engine fast enough for it to fire off. There is NO six volt batteries on these trucks or cars for that matter. Please dont get confused or confuse other people do some research if u need to.

I have had many diesels over the years. All modern consumer (pickup truck) diesels from at least the 1980's are 12 volt and run dual 12 volt batteries in parallel. So Parallel wiring keeps it at the same voltage but doubles the capacity. Like my truck runs roughly 900 cold cranking amp batteries. Its still twelve volts but will measure roughly 1800 cranking amps. If electrical wiring isn't your thing. Buy your self a basic multimeter and a set of "Load Pro" leads and the book Dan wrote, you can get them as a package on Amazon and ESI Test website. Then watch some of Dan Sullivans video's on youtube. He makes electrical trouble shooting very simple. Those leads and a few of his basic videos and you should be able to easily track down dimming lights. I have everything from $4K Fluke Scopemeters to $50K Spectrum Analyzers both RF and Audio. So I know how to duplicate the test those simple leads help you do with out the leads. I still use them on a daily basis. I like them enough I have 4 sets just so everywhere I keep a Multimeter I have a set. You can get a Fluke 27 Multimeter on Ebay for under $100 (sometimes at low as $25). They are COMPLETELY waterproof, and lifetime warrantied as long as you get one made after like 1990.

Yesterday I had an electrical engineer tell a Federal law enforcement agency I was doing some work for to buy a new piece of equipment that cost about 10k new because it was broke. Five minutes later, a cheap multimeter, and a set of LoadPro's and I narrowed it down to a bad ground.

Simple lesson here. If a circuit has a ground and power at all and you pull the load i.e. light and measure it will show the full 12-14 volts. So you think well its not the wiring. You apply the load pro it will show the same 12-14 volts, push the button drops to like 6 volts. You narrow down which side the error is on power or ground which is easy and Dan shows you how. The problem was too small of a ground wire and a poor choice where to ground it on top of that. The problem with the old school methods of "load testing" is they aren't very safe on delicate circuits.

Archived