14v Batteries Any Point?

Hey guys I'm pretty much a noob to the car audio only basic systems when I was younger. Now I'm looking to put something serious in my tahoe hybrid. So I'm going to add an alternator the hybrid don't have one from the factory at all so it will not hook into cars electric at all. It will only charge batteries in the back for the amps. I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to build on 14v Batteries or not. I obviously don't have the issues a normal car would have with step downs for car electronics so would it be better in the long run? Just trying to find out what I can. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Stick to a normal charging system, most good amps are doing rated at 12 volts these days, a lot can't even handle the 16v plus that a 14v system charges at.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Reviving this as I just had a thought. Since my vehicle is a hybrid I will lose the alternator when I stop at lights and at very low speeds like under twenty. Would the 14v battery system improve the electric for amps with this voltage drop or would not really make a difference? I don't really understand if you use the same amps with 12v and 14v systems.

the amps you run have to be able to accept a 16v input... like broke said most do 12 just fine and many cant take over 15.... and 18v amps are really hard to find also..... you gain more from how much amp hours you have in reserve over charging voltage so if you have a 14v charging system it would be more like a 12v system with engine running but you would still need a good bank of batterys that come at a pretty steep price to hold those resting voltages at full tilt

Archived