LoudMS3 Posted January 28, 2016 Report Posted January 28, 2016 Alright folks i am not new to car audio but I'm far from an expert at designing boxes. I wanted this box to be as SQ oriented as possible but its still an 8in woofer so I need it to get loud at the same time. Given there are going to have to be tradeoffs. I listen to mostly electronic/Trap/Rap bass heavy music and I needs ta lowz. Right now I have this woofer in a sealed stealth box that's a bit on the small side and I want to build a proper ported enclosure. Subwoofer: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss210hf-4-8-reference-hf-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-456 Amplifier: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_15196_JL-Audio-G1700.html Aeroport: http://www.parts-express.com/precision-port-2-flared-speaker-cabinet-port-tube-kit--268-348 They recommend a 1.75cu.ft. box with 24hz tuning but with this amp I'm giving this sub a bit over rated power so i'm thinking more along the lines of ~1cu.ft. I would also like to keep the tuning low which is proving to be challenging while still keeping up the port area. Right now I have my dimensions at 15x10x15 with one 2in Aeroport 8.5in long with 32.17hz tuning according to the Torres calculator. My research tells me two 2in aeroports would be ideal but I cant get the port long enough for the tuning I want. I'm looking for some opinions on whether I'm ok with this design or should I consider changing my tuning preference/box size?
ckeeler11 Posted January 28, 2016 Report Posted January 28, 2016 24 hz in a car is low. I am no expert but according to my calculations you only have .85 or so cu. ft. and the 2" aero is to small you will most likely have port noise. So i would go with a box size 16x15x20 and either go 2x3"-11" aero or slot port 13.5"x 1.25"-25.75" both will give you a 30hz tune. Set your gain properly and roll. Like i said no expert so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
LoudMS3 Posted January 28, 2016 Author Report Posted January 28, 2016 I put those dimensions and port into Torres and it comes up with just over 40HZ tuning. I redesigned and came up with 17x16x17 w/ 1x4" aeroport 12" long. Although I basically just doubled the box volume and port size so I fear it would still suffer the same fate.
ckeeler11 Posted January 28, 2016 Report Posted January 28, 2016 I put those dimensions and port into Torres and it comes up with just over 40HZ tuning. I redesigned and came up with 17x16x17 w/ 1x4" aeroport 12" long. Although I basically just doubled the box volume and port size so I fear it would still suffer the same fate. I am using 3/4" plywood in my model. what are you using? i did see i had 3/4" for port thickness and took that off. with your dimensions i have 1.67cu. ft. and 29.7 hz tune?
ckeeler11 Posted January 28, 2016 Report Posted January 28, 2016 I put those dimensions and port into Torres and it comes up with just over 40HZ tuning. I redesigned and came up with 17x16x17 w/ 1x4" aeroport 12" long. Although I basically just doubled the box volume and port size so I fear it would still suffer the same fate. 1x4" still shows fairly high port velocities above 100 ft./sec. but since its flared it might be okay. have to wait for others to chime in.
LoudMS3 Posted January 28, 2016 Author Report Posted January 28, 2016 Sorry make that 38Hz. I'm also using a double baffle with 3/4" material thickness. Am I doing something wrong?
MotorCityFats13 Posted January 28, 2016 Report Posted January 28, 2016 the 24hz sugestion sounds like a home theater setup... the lowest ive seen in an automotive enclosure is 28hz and common tune is 32-33hz I would say with an 8" sub a 4" aero will be acceptable maybe not perfect but that is a different game.... im testing differents box setups until I build the one I am most happy with and the 2 I have done with a lvl3 DC 12" first had a 3" pvc and next had a 4" pvc.... although performance was suffering they worked and this was normal pvc and a 12" that pushes more than that 8".... I only hear chuffing when I play below tunning and its tuned at 32hz and my subsonic is set at 28hz so it does not come up very often.... rack rack city rack rack city bitch... = port noise
shogen Posted January 28, 2016 Report Posted January 28, 2016 this... but you can do it if you like.... I haven't looked at an 8" in a long time... I bet it would still sound nice but not too loud the 24hz sugestion sounds like a home theater setup... the lowest ive seen in an automotive enclosure is 28hz and common tune is 32-33hz I would say with an 8" sub a 4" aero will be acceptable maybe not perfect but that is a different game.... im testing differents box setups until I build the one I am most happy with and the 2 I have done with a lvl3 DC 12" first had a 3" pvc and next had a 4" pvc.... although performance was suffering they worked and this was normal pvc and a 12" that pushes more than that 8" Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear) beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.
Triticum Agricolam Posted January 28, 2016 Report Posted January 28, 2016 OK, so first thing to keep in mind, like others have said, that subs is marketed to the home theater crowd, which is why they recommend such a low tuning. It should work fine for car audio though. I think your box size of 1 cf is reasonable, I'd probably shoot for around a 32 Hz tuning. One problem though, with dimensions of 15" x 15" x 10" using 3/4" material, you don't have enough space. Keep in mind that with a single 8" on modest power you are only going to get so much output. Also the xmax on that particular sub is pretty low, so you are going to have to be careful with the power. Getting enough port area while keeping tuning low with these small boxes is always a challenge. Its very difficult to get aero ports to work since the box dimensions are small and the ports have to be long to get the tuning you want. A single 4" aero should be plenty, or two 3" ports would work too. I've never been able to fit aero ports into boxes this small, so I just use slot ports. Another option would be to make a t-line, this is one of the limited times where the t-line makes sense to use IMHO. You would probably want to reverse mount the sub if you went with a T-line. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.