Sonic Electronix

So I am in need of an O Scope. I want to properly set my gains and I am aware that SMD makes the DD1 which detects distortion I assume it works like a dumbed down O Scope in that it senses the clipping of the wave and illuminates a light instead of you actually watching the wave on the scope. Is this true and would a DD1 be just as good as an O Scope for tuning amp gains or will I find that some where down the road an O Scope would provide additional value. Seems the DD! is around the same price if not a little cheaper then an O Scope of decent quality at least.

Thanks,

So I am in need of an O Scope. I want to properly set my gains and I am aware that SMD makes the DD1 which detects distortion I assume it works like a dumbed down O Scope in that it senses the clipping of the wave and illuminates a light instead of you actually watching the wave on the scope. Is this true and would a DD1 be just as good as an O Scope for tuning amp gains or will I find that some where down the road an O Scope would provide additional value. Seems the DD! is around the same price if not a little cheaper then an O Scope of decent quality at least.

Thanks,

If it's not hart stopping it not real POWER

d5a12bcc-c31a-4c2d-90bd-394ef746eb7a_zps0ea163ed-8f00-4686-8c3d-77bccbd0ea03_zps

Thanks,

Related to car audio would they be any reason I would need a o scope. I didn't mean to imply that the DD1 was not as good I meant it dones't do all that an O Scope does and other then amp gains and distortion detection I am not sure if there would be other purposes for an O Scope. Also that video is crazy the DD1 I want now.

the dd1 will detect distortion before your eyes start seeing the square wave on an oscope... some clipping is fine... too much clipping destroys things.... and you can have distortion with out a square wave so the DD1 is a better tool for car audio tuning... other uses of a scope would be crossovers and seeing what frequency is playing... SMD has a tool for each of these uses but they are designed to be easy to use and get the job done "uni-taskers" .... if you know how to figure things out I cant see a better tool than the AMM-1 it does everything I need but you have to figure it out

I am not clear on how the DD1+ works exactly. I would think that distortion happens at whatever level it happens at so is the overlap part just letting the level distort a little since your music will unlikely be playing at a 0db test tone level anyway? So much to understand. When I was a kid I swear this was much easier. Well maybe we were just stupider throwing any two subs and any amp we could get our hands on in a trunk.

Music isn't recorded at -0dB. It's attenuated. So the purpose of overlap is to have your amplifiers match the recorded music's attenuation level. A -0dB tone is louder than -5dB because -0dB means no attenuation.

Yes, if your source music is already distorted, then all you're doing is amplifying distortion. But clean music is clean, as long as your gain wasn't set with a higher attenuation level than the clean source music. So the DD-1+ lets you have more control over your exact attenuation level than just the regular DD-1.

Archived