Second Skin Audio

Alpine Type-R 12" Box Recommendation too small...

So i've been looking into maybbe buying 2 12 inch alpine type r's the newest version. One problem That I have is that I would be doing a ported box and their specs for minimum ported is 1.0 cubic feet and max ported is 1.5 cubic feet.

That just seems way too small. If im going to be giving these subs 1krms a piece they should have atleast 2-2.5 cubic feet per sub, right?

Do you guys think it would be fine to give them 2-2.5 cubes or would that mess with the subs?

Actually the more power you give subs, the smaller you want the box to keep cone excursion under control. If you put those subs in a 2.5 cube box and put 1k watt to them you might just destroy them.

With ported boxes, bigger isn't alway better, bigger is just different. The larger you make a ported box, the more output you get around the tuning frequency, but only around the tuning frequency. If you make the box too big you will end up with really peaky output, which may not be what you want. Also you run the risk of damaging your subs like I said above.

With just about any sub there is a range of box sizes (and tunings) that will work. What is going to work best for you depends on your particular situation. How much power you are running, what kind of vehicle you are putting it in, what kind of music you listen to, and your personal listening tastes will all contribute to what box specs are going to work the best for you.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Take a look at the difference between 1.5 net (red) and 2 net (yellow), tuning is 32Hz for both cases:

You win maybe about 2 dB around tuning with the bigger box;

image.jpg

Cone excursion doesn't change much either:

image.jpg

The sub can work in a smaller box with no substantial loss of performance but if you were to run them on 2 net it looks that would work too.

Take a look at the difference between 1.5 net (red) and 2 net (yellow), tuning is 32Hz for both cases:

You win maybe about 2 dB around tuning with the bigger box;

image.jpg

Cone excursion doesn't change much either:

image.jpg

The sub can work in a smaller box with no substantial loss of performance but if you were to run them on 2 net it looks that would work too.

may i ask what program you are using?

Archived