Second Skin Audio

sub started making weird sound

Hey guys...my sundown sa-8's are making this weird sound in some bass notes. Almost like the subs are burping? Could this be low voltage? Check the sound at 18-19 seconds and then again at 22 seconds.

Could this be clipping? Low voltage? Too much power? I have had these subs a few weeks they had not done this. Running them at 1 ohm on a american bass ph4000md. 2000 watts rms split between the subs so 1000 watts rms each. Gain totally off...db boost off...low pass filter set at 80hz.

Always had these settings and always listened to the same tracks at the same volume. Sundowns usually dont break down and they can handle way more than they are rated at. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

How many subs? What size box? Ported or sealed?
They could be loosening up due to them breaking in. Pull them out and check the spiders, maybe something happened during break in?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Its hard to tell what they sound like in the video. What size is the box? The subs will unload when played below port tuning at high volume. What frequency do you have your subsonic filter set at? Try setting it at 30hz and see if it is better.

Pioneer 80PRS

I have it totally off. The american bass amp dials just have a starting point and ending. So like for the lpf...40hz and 220hz...there is no notch for 80..100..etc. same for the subsonic filter.

Look up how to set ssf and lpf with a dmm and test tones....

You will have to guesstimate where it would be. Set the subsonic all the way up and slowly lower it while playing until the problem happens. Then turn it back up slightly.

Pioneer 80PRS

Ill try that..but any chance this is a power issue..like battery droping voltage? It does drop from 14.4 to 13.5..

I have it wired with 2 gauge wire. It had been working fine for weeks. I dont abuse it much...meaning i dont really listen to my music loud but when i tried yesterday started hearing this. Hadnt before then. Maybe the 1000 watts rms to each sub is too much? Im told sundowns can handle them...dont know.

The 1 volt drop has NOTHING to do with it. Its something with ur amp settings, get a dmm and test tones and look up how to set lpf and ssf with dmm. Ur gain isnt a volume know idk why u turned it down or "off"....... disconnect ur subs from ur amp and measure the impeadance of ur coils if the impeadance is too high u might have burned a coil. If u have a ported box its generally "safe" to tune half an octave or 5hz below port tuning. I.E box tuned to 40hz set ssf to 35hz.

Archived