just getting home after the weekend, planning my next project for next weekend. in my old c10 (1981), the dash pad is cracked in many places, and faded really bad. a "cap" wont work due to the shape and where some cracks begin, and I can only find replacements from down in the USA. That's out of the question ATM due to terrible exchange rate and truck freight shipping, plus the want to work on it next weekend... soo it brings me to my current plan.

what I was thinking was to reinstall the cracked dash as is, and remove the windshield. (old style where glass sits in the rubber, retained by a trim piece) then after grinding out the cracked areas, fill the cracks with foam or body filler and stretch fleece across the whole dash. finally, resin the fleece and body work everything smooth before paint.

I believe this should work (famous last words) but thought id throw the idea out there and see how others may have repaired an old cracked dash. ill be working on it next week unless someone convinces me otherwise, and will try to take some pics as I go.

any and all input would be appreciated. anyone else out there fiberglass a dash? how'd it turn out?

It's started! I got the old dash dug out and looked it over. surprisingly only one crack in the middle which is better than i thought, however its just as faded maroon as its always been. lol. took a bunch of pics as i went today, posting after this.

To start, after initial inspection, i ground out the crack and filled it with panel bond. Let that set up, sanded it down smooth with a block and scuffed the vinyl of the dash with 80 grit on a DA. next i cut out my fleece and temporarily stretched it with across the panel, securing with binder clips approx 8-10" apart. One half of the dash at a time i removed the binder clips and sprayed the contact cement on both pieces, about a minute later it was stretched down again and re clipped in place temporarily. After i did the same thing to the drivers side and was happy with how the fleece laid out, i went for lunch to let the contact cement cure and to pick up more resin. Once i got back it was ready to go, almost half a gallon later my dash was taking shape.

That's where i left off for today, I will get back at it tomorrow and will take more pics as i go. I left the vent openings dry for now so i can cut/ mold them better tomorrow once the basic shape of the dash hardens. I've gotta add some chop-matt in a couple places to strengthen the fleece and body work over the whole thing but already am happy with how its turning out. It's my first time attempting this kind of repair but should look great when its done. let me know what you think and again posting pics right away

Looking good so far. But how well will the glass stick to the plastic?

the fleece gets glued down with contact cement and resined.. the glue never let go when i soaked the blanket with resin, and then the blanket hardens to the shape of the dash, i tucked all the edges around and will sand it back leaving it as thick as possible while still fitting in the truck properly.

went to work on it yesterday and part way into mixing up my first round of resin there's a knock on the door... my buddy with his truck on a flatbed. blew his tranny and needed to drive 3hrs tomorrow (today). 2 hours later we had the tranny out and on the bench, he had new clutches, steels, and gaskets as well as another tranny on hand just in case. he rebuilt it in about 3 hours and finally around midnight last night (this morning) the 4x4 f150 was ready for fluid and a test drive, and i was ready for bed :shok:

before going to repair the tranny i wrapped the felt around the edges of the dash and resined it to make the shape permanent.. did the same process to the a/c vent openings in the front and the vin opening in the top... got a couple pics and will get back at it next weekend. ill find out late today if the tranny survived the 6 hr round trip or if his ford left him roadside once more....

was back working on my dash this afternoon. got it looking like a dash again. gonna be back on it tomorrow and will probably get it into primer. nothing special just various layers of fiberglass and filler.. last pics with some sealer on it... overall happy with the results soo far, should have a pic with it fitting in the truck tomorrow pics after this post

Archived