DeadlyDave Posted February 25, 2016 Report Posted February 25, 2016 Hey everyone! New to the forums but I'm in a time crunch so I'll keep this short and sweet. I have a 2016 impala and I allotted a certain amount of space in the trunk to build a box. (W-39.5 H-18.5 D-18) Port Width- 4 inches and Port length -5.5 for a tuning of 33 hz. I played around with the calculator on the RE audio site and after adding in wood thickness and port displacement I went from about 7.6 cubes gross to 5.1 cubes. Not entirely sure how accurate the calculator is however my current dilemma is that my budget will either allow 2 HDS212's from Soundqubed or 2 HDS215's. I had intended on using 2 subs since my last couple of setups were single sub builds however after plugging in the dimensions of my box I think I'd be choking 2 15's. Not counting sub displacement I'm looking at 2.5 cubes per sub unfortunately. So my question is since I'm assuming that wouldn't be adequate for 2 15's, is terms of sheer output would I better off trying to run 2 of the HDS215's and risk choking them, or just throw 2 of the HDS212's in there? I thought about one of the HDS 213 15's but given that the power will be the same regardless of what size, or how many subs I choose, I'd be better of leaning in the direction of more cone area. Thoughts? I even pondered on a sealed box with those dimensions and came out with about 3 cubes per sub but I'm assuming 2 12's ported would take 2 15's sealed? Thanks, Dave
BoomZoom808 Posted February 25, 2016 Report Posted February 25, 2016 Don't go sealed you will loose output and with 5 cubes you def want to go with 12's or change your sub choice also use the torres calc not the re calc 2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS Knu OFC 1/0 SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750 Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5 IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12
DeadlyDave Posted February 25, 2016 Author Report Posted February 25, 2016 Yea I know sealed doesn't get much love, but I figured I'd throw it out there. I was thinking about 3 cubes per sub in a sealed enclosure would suffice? Every setup I've ever had has been slot ported but I was curious about the possible sound I'd get from the 2 15's sealed. If it matters I listen to everything from hip hop/rap,to funk, to dubstep/house, to a little rock at times. I do however enjoy the nice flat response from sealed enclosures that I've heard.
BoomZoom808 Posted February 25, 2016 Report Posted February 25, 2016 Nothing wrong with sealed if you understand its limitations also would try different subs than the ones you stated if you want sealed. 2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS Knu OFC 1/0 SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750 Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5 IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12
sweendog Posted February 25, 2016 Report Posted February 25, 2016 The nice thing about sealed is the boxes are easy to make haha. My friend had an old pawn shop l7 in a sealed box that was surprisingly loud for what it was. A nicely designed and build ported box with perform better though.
MADVIBES Posted February 25, 2016 Report Posted February 25, 2016 I love sealed boxes, if the sub was designed to play in a sealed box. the subs you are looking at are not designed to play in a sealed box, well they are not designed to play well in a sealed box, lol DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY. 156.9@26hz 158.0@30hz
DeadlyDave Posted February 25, 2016 Author Report Posted February 25, 2016 Thanks for the replies. The reason I was kind of set on the 15's is becasue I got a stellar deal so I ended up buying them last night. Couldn't pass up the deal. So I guess it comes down to this. As stated I listen to just about everything besides country and jazz. I want nice loud output that's flat and smooth but I'm not looking to get every 10th of a DB out of these 15's. I've ONLY run slot ported enclosures in the past. I've had 12's,15's and 18's, so the whole sealed approach is new to me. So I guess the question now is, with 7.6 cubes BEFORE displacement of the MDF and drivers, Should I give them a shot in a slot ported enclosure which is I'm not mistaken would give me around 2.5 cubes per sub after port/wood/and driver displacement tuned to about 32 hz, or run them sealed at about 3 cubes per sub? Thanks, Dave.
MotorCityFats13 Posted February 25, 2016 Report Posted February 25, 2016 choking 2 15" subs in a sealed box might be less than 1 12" in a well designed ported box... and 2 12's in a good ported box should run circles around 2 sealed 15's in a poor box... if space is an issue start looking into smaller displacement subs.... tons out there that get plenty loud...... even 1 DC XL 15 surprises a lot of people The nice thing about sealed is the boxes are easy to make haha. My friend had an old pawn shop l7 in a sealed box that was surprisingly loud for what it was. A nicely designed and build ported box with perform better though. anytime somebody uses statement modification the point loses credibility..... its loud for 1 sub.... its fast for a V6.... shes pretty hot for a fat chick.... her pussy smelled good for being homeless.... her teeth looked surprisingly well for being addicted to meth.... if it sounded good or loud to you say it was loud.... nobodys going to banish you because you listened to a kicker speaker and thought "I like it"
DeadlyDave Posted February 25, 2016 Author Report Posted February 25, 2016 choking 2 15" subs in a sealed box might be less than 1 12" in a well designed ported box... and 2 12's in a good ported box should run circles around 2 sealed 15's in a poor box... if space is an issue start looking into smaller displacement subs.... tons out there that get plenty loud...... even 1 DC XL 15 surprises a lot of people The nice thing about sealed is the boxes are easy to make haha. My friend had an old pawn shop l7 in a sealed box that was surprisingly loud for what it was. A nicely designed and build ported box with perform better though. anytime somebody uses statement modification the point loses credibility..... its loud for 1 sub.... its fast for a V6.... shes pretty hot for a fat chick.... her pussy smelled good for being homeless.... her teeth looked surprisingly well for being addicted to meth.... if it sounded good or loud to you say it was loud.... nobodys going to banish you because you listened to a kicker speaker and thought "I like it" The first paragraph was a bit disheartening but I figured as much. So being that I have the 2 15's even though the situation is not 100% optimal would I better of sealing and giving them a bit more in the cubic feet department, or porting them with a little less cubic feet per sub? Even though it appears I'm screwed to an extent I'd appreciate your opinion being I already have the subs. By the way the last paragraph was gold. I appreciate the laugh and blunt honesty because the point you made was in fact true.
BoomZoom808 Posted February 25, 2016 Report Posted February 25, 2016 Your better of doing one 15 in the proper air space or switching subs 2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS Knu OFC 1/0 SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750 Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5 IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.