DeadlyDave Posted February 25, 2016 Author Report Posted February 25, 2016 Both of the subs are of course dual 4 ohm so I could have wired them down 2 one ohm. I guess I could do one and just run it at 2 ohm and it'd still be getting the recommended RMS. Although that would more then likely be the "ideal" thing to do, I would assume the 2 15's sealed or ported would be louder regarding cone area? Or would 1 15 in a larger ported box be louder then 2 in a "moderately" sized sealed box?
BoomZoom808 Posted February 26, 2016 Report Posted February 26, 2016 I'll tell you this I have a pair of PPI pro 12's I had in a spec sealed box running @ 1 ohm and I was disappointed with the output. So I threw one of them in a 2.75 cu ported box with 36" or port area tuned to 34hz and it was way louder at 2ohm in a ported box and a lot easier on my electrical. You do what you want, if it makes you happy who cares how many subs or what ohm load you are running. 2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS Knu OFC 1/0 SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750 Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5 IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12
DeadlyDave Posted February 26, 2016 Author Report Posted February 26, 2016 Thanks for the reply boom. I'm definitely not looking for justification in order to cram a couple of 15's in an enclosure that isn't ideal. I just got a great deal and hate to have one sub just sitting around for the most part. I guess if anything I'll just try a couple of different enclosures out for the hell of it and see what I like best. I'll probably just run one at 2 ohm in about 4 cubes ported and be plenty happy. BUT, for shits and giggles, IF I were to try and fit both.... what would be LESS of a waste of time? 6.1 cubes AFTER displacement SEALED, or 5.2 cubes AFTER displacement, slot ported at 32 hz? I'm assuming with my calculations with 7.6 cubes BEFORE dispalcement 39.5 W,18.5 H and 18 D, that the figures I have for the AFTER displacement figures are correct? It's been a while (like 6 years) since I've had a system but I believe my math is still correct?
DeadlyDave Posted February 26, 2016 Author Report Posted February 26, 2016 I fudged on the calculations. So after readjusting my figures, if I went ported I should have 6.2 cubes AFTER subs and port displacement if I went ported. If I did that and tuned to the mid 30s or so would that be Just enough for both of the subs to breathe? On the SQ site the smallest ported box they recommend is 3.0 cubic feet AFTER displacement. That puts right around the minimum range? Doable?
BoomZoom808 Posted February 26, 2016 Report Posted February 26, 2016 Download the Torres calc and screen shot your proposed dimensions 2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS Knu OFC 1/0 SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750 Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5 IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12
DeadlyDave Posted February 26, 2016 Author Report Posted February 26, 2016 I attempted that but unfortunately my computer is ancient as well as my operating system so that's not working.
MotorCityFats13 Posted February 27, 2016 Report Posted February 27, 2016 I attempted that but unfortunately my computer is ancient as well as my operating system so that's not working. what are you running windows ME or 98se
DeadlyDave Posted March 12, 2016 Author Report Posted March 12, 2016 Well I ended up building an enclosure using the Torres program tuned to about 35 hz and I'm not really satisfied. I'm thinking of using more of my trunk and extending the depth by 6 inches and using aero ports to save internal volume. The new box would be about 8.3 cubes NET after woofer displacement and bracing and I'd be tuning around 30 hz. Maybe I'm old but the current setup which is about 6.0 cubes nets after everything is said and done just isn't cutting it for me. It sounds decent on certain songs but on others it just doesn't really do it for me. I'm finding myself not enjoying the "sound quality" presently whereas about 7 or 8 years ago I just wanted it "loud". I should have thought ahead and just bought 2 subs that are INTENDED for sealed enclosure and went that route. But looking at the specs and from I've read on paper you'd think the soundqube hds215's would work well sealed but apparently they are designed for ported according to SQ.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.