Second Skin Audio

Sub Quality/Quantity Advice

s5300

Hey all - been in the market for some subs for a while, unfortunately, budget is killing me for a bit and until I get a car I actually like and want to put a H/O Alt along with a new hood battery in, I'm going to just go about running a lower ~1500W RMS system.

Now here's my question.

Would I be better of - as in, perceived loudness, punch, slam, air displacement, the whole basshead love story getting two say, since Sundown audio is easy to use... hmm.. two 750W RMS 12' SA's or one 1500W RMS 12' X Rev.2?

Obviously, with the two twelves, there's double the cone area. However, if I were to buy a 'better', larger sub now, I would have it for when I decide the second one... so am I going to notice a huge difference from having the two 750W's vs. the one 1500w? Thanks.

Also, let's talk power for a second. Right now, I'm dead set on FSD Amps.

Let's take the FZ1600D

1500W @ 1 ohm mono

3000W @ 2 ohms strapped.

So, in this case, would I want to get 2 ohm DVC's so one sub will be wired down to 1 ohm and run good @ 1500, then when I buy another amp, strapping it @ 2 ohms, I will have two 2 ohm DVC's that wire down to the 2 ohm to run @ 3000? I was always told to stay away from 2 ohm DVC's, always get 4 ohm DVC's, but this seems like a really great setup to me.

As always, all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help, dudes.

In theory, two subs with 1500 watts split between them will be at least 3 db louder than one sub on 1500 watts. Plus you should have less power compression since you are splitting the power between more voice coils. Also, lower RMS rated subs tend to have lower moving mass, which is better for efficiency. Now that's all in theory though, in practice things could be different and are hard to predict. All I can say is its highly likely using two subs will be louder than one sub on the same total power.

Down the road if you want to upgrade, you sell your two smaller subs and put the money towards getting bigger ones.

As far as not getting 2 ohm DVC subs and preferring 4 ohm subs, I have no idea why someone would think that. You get what you need to run the final impedance you want and don't worry about if 4 ohm, or 2 ohm, or 1 ohm coils is better.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

There's no reason to avoid 2 ohm dvc especially if you are running what is one sub per amp. As long as your final load matches what you want the amp to see it doesn't particularly matter what the coils are as long as the coils are treated equally

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived