Using a DD-1 on a self powered home audio subwoofer

I had my dad pick up a B&W ASW1200 I believe it was. It is a 12" subwoofer with an attached 200w amplifier. On the amp there is a knob, can't remember if it was labeled as volume, gain, whichever. My question is. Shouldn't I be able to take the amp off, wire up the DD-1 to the amp and turn the dial until it picks up distortion, if there is any. I really believe the answer to that is yes, and if it is I have another question. I am not the best on knowledge of how the different db tracks work in comparison of each other. So in a home setting, where for the most part, is always the same constant voltage. What track would you use to tune a home audio subwoofer? Is it still based on the style of music that would be played through it to try and best match up what is played? Thanks in advance my bass heads.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

bump pl0x

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

The dd1 works up to 125v so you should be alright.

16 ohm load requires 56.6v to get 200w

8 ohm load requires 40v to get 200w

4 ohm load requires 28.3v to get 200w

2 ohm load requires 20v to get 200w

Going to guess that the woofer in there has either a 4 or 8 ohm coil which puts you well in the usable range of the dd1.

As for the test tone I don't know, so hopefully someone chimes in on that.

The dd1 works up to 125v so you should be alright.

16 ohm load requires 56.6v to get 200w

8 ohm load requires 40v to get 200w

4 ohm load requires 28.3v to get 200w

2 ohm load requires 20v to get 200w

Going to guess that the woofer in there has either a 4 or 8 ohm coil which puts you well in the usable range of the dd1.

As for the test tone I don't know, so hopefully someone chimes in on that.

Thanks, never knew about that voltage part. I am pretty damn sure I can, just want to hear a yes it will work as it's meant to before I possibly harm his nice new expensive sub

Edited by RooTxBeeR

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I'd take the sub out, hook onto the amp outputs and try track 3(-5db) first. Toss the sub back in and listen to it, if that's not enough tho open it back up and move on to 5(-10db).

Play track 3,5 or 7 on test CD (Track 3 will ensure maximum sound quality, Track 7 will result in a louder system, Track 5 is a compromise). Your choice.

• 2 weeks later...