Running 18 Volts Daily

There should be external regulators on each alt your going to running with your stereo system. You can set them to 18v, but you will NEED to keep one alternator out of the 2, 3 or 4 your going to be running at stock charging levels (14.4)

Edited by caravan
crxsilogozz5.gif

There should be external regulators on each alt your going to running with your stereo system. You can set them to 18v, but you will NEED to keep one alternator out of the 2, 3 or 4 your going to be running at stock charging levels (14.4)

Basically your electrical for the stereo will not touch the chassis anywhere.

Ok so i am planning on getting 3 alts for just the stereo and then leaving the stock one in for all my stock electrical. So i would need to run my power wire 4 or 5 runs off the external regulator and the grounds from the alt cases

Ok so i am planning on getting 3 alts for just the stereo and then leaving the stock one in for all my stock electrical. So i would need to run my power wire 4 or 5 runs off the external regulator and the grounds from the alt cases

I thought you needed to run all your grounds (amps, alt cases) right to the batteries without grounding to the chassis anywhere, but now I'm double guessing. Anyone with experience wanna chime in? I still think you do but not 100% sure.

crxsilogozz5.gif

I thought you needed to run all your grounds (amps, alt cases) right to the batteries without grounding to the chassis anywhere, but now I'm double guessing. Anyone with experience wanna chime in? I still think you do but not 100% sure.

Thats where im running into trouble i cant figure out where to run the power wire from and ground wire from

A memphis tech told me it wouldn't matter, to ground to the frame. I was asking since the case is normally ground anyway, and the case bolts on to the aluminum bracket, hence grounding to the chasis anyway. I'd ask someone who's done it before first before messing something up though, just what I was told when I was considering doing the exact setup you're talking about.

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

Thats where im running into trouble i cant figure out where to run the power wire from and ground wire from

Power wire from the alternators running 18v will go from the main + terminal to the battery bank positive. Then from the positive on the batteries to the positive in the amp. The ground from the alternators running 18v will from the casing to the battery bank (golf car batteries) negative. As well the ground from the amps will go to the battery negative. You need to use some sort of rubber grommet to make sure the alternator case is not grounded to chassis.

Unless someone who has ran a 16/18v setup knows differently, I've never used a higher voltage setup.

crxsilogozz5.gif

A memphis tech told me it wouldn't matter, to ground to the frame. I was asking since the case is normally ground anyway, and the case bolts on to the aluminum bracket, hence grounding to the chasis anyway. I'd ask someone who's done it before first before messing something up though, just what I was told when I was considering doing the exact setup you're talking about.

Ya the real only reason for running 16 to 18 volts is the amps i want do there power at 16 to 18 volts and batts are alot cheaper

i do not see where the ground is a issue, as long as the pos 18v wire is secluded from the 12v system, kind a like a house,you have your 110v outlest and then the 240 for the dryer and stove, but there both grounded to the same bar

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets