Second Skin Audio

Sealed box sounding bad. need some help.

Amart88

Welp... that could be. But just seems weird how it will sound good on low volume. but when the same song is turned up to its max clean volume it sounds like crap. hard to explain. doent get loud and clean. but maybe you are right, if that's the case something will change. ain't having it. got too much money and time into it at this point. I need some sub stage.

This is what really makes me wonder if the distortion is coming from somewhere in your signal chain. Sealed boxes are just really hard to screw up.

this is why I think his expectations are way to high.. once you reach the max output of a sealed box it starts to sound distorted with a strange higher pitch sound coming

from the driver then it starts to get muddy and the subs start to have more excursion with no gain in output

everything he has stated reminds me when you try to push a sealed box past its own limitations

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Welp... that could be. But just seems weird how it will sound good on low volume. but when the same song is turned up to its max clean volume it sounds like crap. hard to explain. doent get loud and clean. but maybe you are right, if that's the case something will change. ain't having it. got too much money and time into it at this point. I need some sub stage.

This is what really makes me wonder if the distortion is coming from somewhere in your signal chain. Sealed boxes are just really hard to screw up.

Im open to all possibilities guys. even if it is just the nature. So, would running the dd-1 on the rcas again be sufficient? I have the 4 channel also, sounds amazing, couldnt be happier with the highs. I'm going to go out and play around again. I just though, the sound when turned up is almost like a hollow sounding bass.

Also, i have used the dd-1 with the pac lc-1 with no distortion when i set gains.

easy test place the box outside the car turn it up to the same volume where the problems start if it starts distorting at the same levels

sorry to tell ya thats all the box has

You sir, can suck it!

JK, ;) For real though after checking everything else that was stated by the others, i do believe you may be right. It sound reallllly good at normal levels. You described exactly what happens when i push them harder. Cones move more thats about all. and muddy.

So, for shits and giggles, if i were to put the same woofers in a proper 4th order in the back with the seat up. Would i see the same result? or would i achieve greater output overall?

I'm really a noob when it comes to this side of things. I'm used to ported, and walls.

Ported or 4th order will allways have more output then sealed...

Back seat boxes suck (as in putting a box on your backseats) but still would have more output then sealed in most cases

this is the crazy thing about the car audio environment

on paper a sealed box should kick the shit out of a ported box in every way but in real world ti just does not happen

the only thing you can do is make the sealed box bigger but from your pics does not look like that is possible

if you are use to ported and walls yes I say your expectations were insanely high

Back seat boxes suck (as in putting a box on your backseats) but still would have more output then sealed in most cases

on paper a sealed box should kick the shit out of a ported box in every way but in real world ti just does not happen

the only thing you can do is make the sealed box bigger but from your pics does not look like that is possible

if you are use to ported and walls yes I say your expectations were insanely high

I just figured with the power and the gear i should have at least some sort of decent output. I mean, i have heard louder sealed with much less. I heard even with the high qts option, fi said they will still work fine in a ported. But im really leaning towards a 4th. I know back seat shit sucks. but aint got much choice. It would be on the floor in front of the seat folded upright. or removed. Got a lot going through my head. I like playing lows with some authority.

EDIT: Also, I noticed after about 60% volume, it stops getting much louder to the ear. Maybe that is all the box has. But I have seen a single Fi 10" flexing the hell out of a truck in a sealed box. makes me think i fucked up.

Your woofers are DVC 4 ohm? Wired all in parallel for 1 ohm correct?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I just figured with the power and the gear i should have at least some sort of decent output. I mean, i have heard louder sealed with much less. I heard even with the high qts option, fi said they will still work fine in a ported. But im really leaning towards a 4th. I know back seat shit sucks. but aint got much choice. It would be on the floor in front of the seat folded upright. or removed. Got a lot going through my head. I like playing lows with some authority.

EDIT: Also, I noticed after about 60% volume, it stops getting much louder to the ear. Maybe that is all the box has. But I have seen a single Fi 10" flexing the hell out of a truck in a sealed box. makes me think i fucked up.

bigger box..... being 10's I would do a different box.... first i would put spacers on the back seat to raise it like 2 or 3 inches to give you more room then I would fire the subs forward put grils on them so people won't kick in the cones. so the sub would be basically where your heels are this will also give you a ton more box volume being all the space you used to fire down can now be box volume

the only way to change tuning and output of a sealed box is by position and size

break out the part of the box making the 2 separate section as in one big box plug the hole for one of the 10's and just use 1 10.... I bet you gain some output

Is the motor vented in the back of the magnet? I have heard of subs making funny noises when the back wall is too close to the vent. Maybe take the box out and invert the subs just to try.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

No the motor is not vented at the rear.

Annnnnd... the plot thickens. Took the woofers out to remove the foam blocks. noticed the damn surround glue is cracked/peeling off around some of the screw holes. Possibly allowing air to escape. I can lift the outer edge away from the basket a bit. They are only 1 week old. I emailed Fi about the issue as I never had any problems before with their gear. Really blows. I want to get it fixed but I know if i send em in, will be a good wait. Not sure what i'm going to do now. The box is out.

Also, the seat is lifted 5/8" already. Can't lift anymore or the bolts won't reach. not to mention passengers would hit their heads on the roof.

Archived