Eric Bascetta Posted March 18, 2016 Report Posted March 18, 2016 Hey guys, Been a long time lurker in forum and love your insight and knowledge. I used to compete 1996-2000 usac outlaw, had 8 - 15's in a dual clamshell sealed with 2 xs 100's and have been out of the fun for over 15 years lol. I can't blow out any of my vehicles which makes me sad...but my neighbor wants to haha so I volunteered to help him out to get my fix. He's a 26 year old (kid) and doesn't have much cash and wants to wall it off so here is what i was thinking. Amps: 2 x clarion 1550 mono D amps (I have these in my garage collecting dust and they worked very well for me) Alt: 240 amp mechman Sub options: #1 - 4 x 15's Sound qubed HDS215 - Box 16 cu.ft. net with 224 sq.in. port tuned to 34 - $460.00 #2 - 8 x 12's hifonics HFX12D4 - Box 16 cu.ft. 160 sq.in. port tuned to 34 (I know these are super budget but lots of cone area and 375 watt each should do ok?) - $256 Ok so here's my question - which sub option would you chose? The guy i'm gonna help is used to some pretty crappy setups and i just wanna help him build something on the cheap that will blow "his" mind lol. Keep in mind he is used to boss subs in pre-fab boxes or a 12" type R with a 1" PVC port ect. I know this is really low end on the subs but i'm trying to see what a cheap sub can do in a properly built wall. Thanks and any other ideas are great too
Bayuk89 Posted March 18, 2016 Report Posted March 18, 2016 I would go HDS315 for $189 they have 3" voice coils and a drop in recone kit is like $90 from SQ. Ive seen and heard the HDS300 in 10" and HDC300 in 12" my neighbor is a sound qubed fanatic and i think its a great product for the money.... Back to what u were asking, i would choice the HDS300 15" over the HDS200 15" any day of the week. With the HDS if it fails there is many options on heavy duty parts.
Bayuk89 Posted March 18, 2016 Report Posted March 18, 2016 I just bought some sundown SA-18's from caraudiobargin.com it was $199 shipped for each 18" call them and ask if they have any more in stock....
Eric Bascetta Posted March 18, 2016 Author Report Posted March 18, 2016 I just bought some sundown SA-18's from caraudiobargin.com it was $199 shipped for each 18" call them and ask if they have any more in stock.... Looks like they have them! I love this idea and that would let him just use 1 1550 watt amp, thanks. It says they can handle 600 watts each, is that a conservative figure? Also i'm assuming they loved ported? thanks again
Triticum Agricolam Posted March 19, 2016 Report Posted March 19, 2016 I just bought some sundown SA-18's from caraudiobargin.com it was $199 shipped for each 18" call them and ask if they have any more in stock.... Looks like they have them! I love this idea and that would let him just use 1 1550 watt amp, thanks. It says they can handle 600 watts each, is that a conservative figure? Also i'm assuming they loved ported? thanks again That's a great deal on those subs! Power handling is really situationally dependent. As long as you use some common sense they should be fine on that 1500 watt amp. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Eric Bascetta Posted March 19, 2016 Author Report Posted March 19, 2016 I just bought some sundown SA-18's from caraudiobargin.com it was $199 shipped for each 18" call them and ask if they have any more in stock.... Looks like they have them! I love this idea and that would let him just use 1 1550 watt amp, thanks. It says they can handle 600 watts each, is that a conservative figure? Also i'm assuming they loved ported? thanks again That's a great deal on those subs! Power handling is really situationally dependent. As long as you use some common sense they should be fine on that 1500 watt amp. Unreal deal man, I bought 4 of them lol...2 for him and 2 for my living room! Now some questions on port area per cube...i saw a SA guy said 12in per cube in a 5-6 cuft box, to me that seems a bit small with 19 mil of xmax. Any of you guys have any experience with these subs?
Triticum Agricolam Posted March 19, 2016 Report Posted March 19, 2016 Xmax shouldn't really factor into port area calculations, IMHO. Port area requirements have a lot more to do with box size, tuning frequency, and input power. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Eric Bascetta Posted March 19, 2016 Author Report Posted March 19, 2016 ok sounds good thanks. Here's the part I have a big question with...sub/port placement. I've seen SUV's do really well with subs up and port back, would this work in a pickup truck if there was say 2" from the port opening to the back of the truck by the rear window? Could i fire the subs backwards? I know that sound nuts but I love the way subs loaded that way. Or do any of you guys know what has worked really well in the past, this is for daily only no meter. Thanks
magillaru Posted March 19, 2016 Report Posted March 19, 2016 I would stick with the wall or do subs and port up if it was my build. Singer Alternators Team Asshole #anothershittysingerbuild
Bayuk89 Posted March 19, 2016 Report Posted March 19, 2016 I havent pluged specs in a program yet (my friend has bass box pro on his computer but hes been super busy) but with help from the guys on here each per each SA-18 its 4-6 cubic feet net with 60-70 square inches of port area and tune 32-35 hz. My build is having to wait because i bought my SA's last thursday and my transmission TC shelled out last sunday. Once trans is rebuit im gonna build my box prolly 10-11 cubs net with port 120-140 square inches tuned to 32 hz, i still have to run the figures through my friends program.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.