Second Skin Audio

Pair of Sundown x-6.5 in '10 F-150 supercrew

buff_n3rd

Looking at putting a pair of Sundown x-6.5 in my 2010 F-150, I thought about lifting the seat but I think for now I will do the install without.

Attached is a file I am working on in Sketchup if anyone wants to steal or improve. It has a lot of work to go but I think I am within the specs, with the exception of the port. I am not sure how big to make it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a20esu319cgvdag/f150%20stock-dim.skp

Gross dimensions are 52 w, 12" d (5" high in rear and 7.5" high in front). Calculated to be +/- 2.07 ft3
Now my big issue is whether or not I have enough room and if my port is okay coming out the side. Would be firing near my door. I have been trying to figure out Win ISD but cannot for the life of me. I'll give it more time later.
Each sub is asking for .3 ft3 so that gives me 1.4cf to construct the box and port. Is this possible?

Sounds like u have plenty of room could probably do 3 subs, instead of buying that expensive seat lift u could always stack a couple washers or get metal stock and drill holes in it that's what I did got 3/4 inch lift.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Box design looks awesome, make that bitch come to life.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

What hertz for port tuning,

Those subs say they should be tuned to 32hrtz, that means 3inch port about 11inch long according to 12volts website.

Hopefully I am on the right path here with WinISD.
According to it, with net displacement (after speaker displacement and port volume displacement) I would be looking at the following calculations:
1.725 FT3 3x5x18 port tuned to 33hz.

1.775 FT3 3x5x14 port tuned to 36-37hz

That being said, I could probably fit in a 3rd subwoofer like you suggested Ron36.

Would anyone be able to help me double check my figures?

How much power are you planning on putting to these?

Right now your box is MUCH too big for two subs. Since you have the space I'd definitely use three, or four even. You aren't going to want to go above Sundown's recommendation of .3 cu ft per sub unless you are going to be giving them significantly less than RMS power. Otherwise you run the risk of cone over-excursion.

The hard part about these little sub boxes is fitting the ports in there. These little beastly subs take a lot of power for their size so they need decent port area, and that combined with wanting to tune them low makes for loooooooong ports. At some point you just have to strike a balance between getting enough port area and keeping the port a manageable length. I avoid making any port longer than 40".

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Right now your box is MUCH too big for two subs. Since you have the space I'd definitely use three, or four even. You aren't going to want to go above Sundown's recommendation of .3 cu ft per sub unless you are going to be giving them significantly less than RMS power. Otherwise you run the risk of cone over-excursion.

The hard part about these little sub boxes is fitting the ports in there. These little beastly subs take a lot of power for their size so they need decent port area, and that combined with wanting to tune them low makes for loooooooong ports. At some point you just have to strike a balance between getting enough port area and keeping the port a manageable length. I avoid making any port longer than 40".

100% perfect. I will start working on changing up the design.

I am going to give them whatever power is recommended. I'm not Bill Gates but $ won't be a factor keeping me from doing it right.

100% perfect. I will start working on changing up the design.

I am going to give them whatever power is recommended. I'm not Bill Gates but $ won't be a factor keeping me from doing it right.

If it will fit, using a single ten may be easier than using three 6.5" woofers. Or dual eights.

Generally you get more 'bang for the buck' with larger woofers. I made a list of the woofers with the most output per dollar, and the whole list was ruled by very large drivers.

Archived