2 way component speakers or 3 way ?

RoadWarrior

It would kind of be 2 way active with how the store was lining you out. To do this, in my opinion, the tweeter and mute range would need to be mounted as close together as possible so the when you wire then as one channel you can time align them. If those two speakers are too far apart then T/A won't move the sound imaging properly.

OK more confusion .....................stopped by the local audio shop today to price some goodies and get a better idea what I want. I am not going to be a jerk and sit here and say this shop wanted too much for their stuff. I have been in the automotive biz for many years. Shops have to make money on parts or they would not be in business long. In fact this feller was really in line with his prices. He also seemed very knowledgeable and had most of what I wanted in stock. Cool right ?

Heck he even offered to do the install for a reasonable price , IMO.

What baffles me is him recommending a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty I know systems sound better with a processor when done correctly. I get that , that is the reason I wanted to go active in the first place. I was under the impression that if I went passive I would not even need a processor for a decent sound. He also recommended a 4 channel amp to power the 3 way component speakers in the front. He said that he could power the mid bass off two channels , left and right. Then he said he could power the tweeters and mid range off two channels using the passive crossovers. Left tweeter and mid range off one channel and Right tweeter and midrange off another channel.

Now he might be right about recommending the 3sixty BUT I am calling horse shit on the four channel amp recommendation. Why even recommend doing anything passive when you have a DSP ???????? I am almost certain that everything I read recommends going active when you have a processor and using one channel per speaker. I know I am a total noob , rookie when it comes to this high tech system stuff and this guy has been in the biz for over 20 years BUT I don't think I am wrong here . Am I ? LOL. I was born at night but it was NOT last night.

It'll be a 2 way passive and the midbass active...you can wire it like he suggested or you can just get a 2 channel and run the midbass as part of the 3 way passive...

The most important thing is knowing how to fabricate everything so that you have an even stereo image throughout the frequency range. I know enough about this sort of thing to never attempt it, it requires extensive fabrication and processing power to make 3ways work, at least as intended. At the very least you need to be able to measure cabin response and delay the signal going to each drivers, as well as be able to plot their polar response.

Otherwise, you don't have a 3 way system. You just have 3 speakers.

Don't trust a shop but you personally just smoked two decks, makes sense.

03' Trailblazer LT
Dayton Designer 6.5"s & Silkie tweeters
Dayton Audio Ultimax 18"
Pioneer 9601 & 8604
XS Power D3400
2 runs 1/0
Singer 250

Right, might as well jump in the deep end and say goodbye to my Benji's ...........................wait a minute why not just get a six channel amp to begin with, instead of a four and then a two ?

Thanks DB, I will check it out . Regardless of what I end up doing now a six channel will come in handy later. Probably run the future subs ( going with 2 PS-8'S for now ) off a seperate amp anyways.

Archived