2 way component speakers or 3 way ?

RoadWarrior

Just doing some research and looking at the various options offered by Hertz, Focal, JL and others. Is the 3 way components worth the extra money ? Seems they would deliver a more well rounded sound just curious.

Thanks Dolarbilz............

OK , I found a few answers to my question. Just leads to more questions. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion/96978-advantages-basics-3-way-component-system.html

How many channels would I have to have on an amp to run a front 3 way set up active ? About 75-100 RMS with a peak of 225-250 watts. I get that a 3 way is more work and harder to tune but it sounds like it would be well worth it in the long run. Bigger/ wider sound /more range , maybe ?

If this is your first time doing this, i would suggest going two way with sub stage in passive form so you can get an understanding of how things work.

If you have been doing this a while, then i would suggest to go two way with sub stage active and take the time to get speaker placement and staging experience before trying your hand with a three way setup, the reason being you'll spend way too much time learning and not enough time enjoying, take it in baby steps, the point is to progress along instead of jumping in to something way over your head.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Well you would need 6 channels of amplifier, tweeter,mid,midbass,just for your frontbstage not including substage.since most decks don't offer this except 99prs I know of.you'll need some processor to handle all those channels plus time alignment crossover points,etcetc,

Skullz and Dolarbilz ................thank you both very much for the sound advice, pun intended. I have decided to go with a 3 way passive install since a DSP is not in my budget right now not to mention the extra $ I will have to spend on the amp or amps. I will concentrate on sound deadner and speaker placement for now. OK and I will admit that an active system is over my head right now even though I have been repairing cars for the last 35 years I have only done a handful of full blown installs and the last one was over 12 years ago. Also after reading about all the high tech stuff none of my past installs were correct. However I learn very fast and I have never been skeered of the deep end. lol. SOOOOOOOOOOO next question would be tweeter and mid range speaker placement. Doors with tweeter mounted high in the side view mirror bolt cover. In the pillars, low down close to the dash OR dash pods at the bottom of the pillars. I have already decided to put the midbass in the doors in the stock locations, maybe figure a way to angle them up to get them more on axis.

Great topic OP. And going 3-way passive will be a good start so you can hear what the staging is suppose to be like. Since you know you will go active one day may i suggest you run any wiring you will need then when you do your install. That way changing over isnt a big deal.

Study up on sound deadening everything, it really is the KEY to a great sounding system. And speaker placement to let those 3-ways shine. Good luck and keep up posted of your progress.

Will do bcbrassard and thanks.....................forgot to include that I am installing all these goodies in a 07 Chevy Silverado ext cab 3500, in case you all miss my other post in the general section.

I installed the PPI p65c3 passive to me they sounded really nice for being ran passive.for placement depending on your skills,if you can glass the tweeter and mid together in pillar would be good while leaving the midbass in door.and damp as much as you can.

OK more confusion .....................stopped by the local audio shop today to price some goodies and get a better idea what I want. I am not going to be a jerk and sit here and say this shop wanted too much for their stuff. I have been in the automotive biz for many years. Shops have to make money on parts or they would not be in business long. In fact this feller was really in line with his prices. He also seemed very knowledgeable and had most of what I wanted in stock. Cool right ?

Heck he even offered to do the install for a reasonable price , IMO.

What baffles me is him recommending a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty I know systems sound better with a processor when done correctly. I get that , that is the reason I wanted to go active in the first place. I was under the impression that if I went passive I would not even need a processor for a decent sound. He also recommended a 4 channel amp to power the 3 way component speakers in the front. He said that he could power the mid bass off two channels , left and right. Then he said he could power the tweeters and mid range off two channels using the passive crossovers. Left tweeter and mid range off one channel and Right tweeter and midrange off another channel.

Now he might be right about recommending the 3sixty BUT I am calling horse shit on the four channel amp recommendation. Why even recommend doing anything passive when you have a DSP ???????? I am almost certain that everything I read recommends going active when you have a processor and using one channel per speaker. I know I am a total noob , rookie when it comes to this high tech system stuff and this guy has been in the biz for over 20 years BUT I don't think I am wrong here . Am I ? LOL. I was born at night but it was NOT last night.

Archived