CBC article link

TL;DR tidbits,

If the purchase is a penny over $20 Cdn, a federal customs agent can intercept it, open it, delay it, add federal and provincial sales taxes, and, depending on the origin of the merchandise, perhaps pile on some duty charges — basically protectionist taxes.

By the time the government is done, the price of the package can easily rise by 50 per cent. And of course customs brokers usually have to wet their beaks, inflating the final cost of the average package by another 20, 30 or 40 per cent.

How else to explain the conclusion of a new study, carried out by three economists in Washington, that found by keeping that purchase threshold at $20 instead of giving Canadian shoppers a break and raising it to $80, Ottawa spends about $166 million to collect $39 million in additional taxes and duties.

Think about that: Ottawa's customs officials spend a net $127 million of taxpayers' money annually, basically to keep Canadians trapped inside the Canadian retail corral.

In the world of consumer delights and free delivery and low taxes that is the United States, government customs agents don't bother with any cross-border shipment worth less than $800 US. The threshold was recently raised by hundreds of dollars.

eBay Canada has been lobbying the federal government to raise its $20 threshold for charging Canadians cross-border duties and taxes on goods purchased online from the U.S. (REUTERS)

Canada's $20 threshold was set in 1985, and hasn't budged since, not even after free trade agreements.

Like the article says, online shopping would grow exponentially if they raised the threshold a few hundred dollars.

So anyone find/heard of canadian retailers for anything other than the "big name" brands?

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

msg me your needs and ill see what i can do for ya

Need four good 6x9 two or three way speakers and a 4 channel amp to match. I got my system installed yesterday and the bass is overwhelming the mids and highs even with the bass eq and amp gain turned way down lol.

send

Ganesh MLS Bharratt

from Moonlite sounds a message on facebook, tell him one of the team asshole guys sent you to him for some speakers, he also does fiberglass work

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

send

Ganesh MLS Bharratt

from Moonlite sounds a message on facebook, tell him one of the team asshole guys sent you to him for some speakers, he also does fiberglass work

Moonlite sounds I've heard lots of bad things about them lol.

• 4 weeks later...

send

Ganesh MLS Bharratt

Moonlite sounds I've heard lots of bad things about them lol.

he gives good deals on the gear though :)

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

• 1 month later...

Bumping this with the hope Steve see's it.

Is there a Canadian distrubutor of SMD products?

Shipping to Canada from wccaraudio is brutal ei. $66 shipping on a $65 order

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

Archived