Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Sundown SA12 Ported Box


300blk

Recommended Posts

Posted

...

why ya think SPL guys use HUGE ports?

To keep port velocity down so as not to lose a bunch of output to port compression. Which was pretty much the point of all the port testing I've been doing.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

you try them in any vehicles? i'm interested to see. In a few weeks ill do some testing with a prototype myself.

while i saw a little diffidence in the FR you had plotted it wasn't enough to say nay BUT you have a ripple above tuning and a slight ripple below tuning but you still only around 1/4 the SD where is alot of setups use 1/2 to 1.25 the SD. the woofer i tested i noticed a difference between 25in^2 and 70. peaked harder at tuning and fell off faster..

http://cholla.mmto.org/speakers/theory/vented-2.pdf

did some more reading on this article and it doesn't really suggest to much port area but more so an Ideal. which was what i was looking for.

I've experienced loosing output with too much port area. these where in car measurement though, it could have been other factors involved..

so far though I'm inclined o say i am wrong and may have over looked other variables.

like i sad ill be doing some testing on a pretty large high output driver and my goal is the find the best possible alignment.

Posted

I did not do any testing with that box in a vehicle. I don't see where there would be much difference though.

I'm curious to see what your results are when you do your own testing.

Do you have any examples of a ported box where the port is 1.25x the Sd? Or even equal to Sd?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

I did not do any testing with that box in a vehicle. I don't see where there would be much difference though.

I'm curious to see what your results are when you do your own testing.

Do you have any examples of a ported box where the port is 1.25x the Sd? Or even equal to Sd?

you compete? i've seen and built several.

just search youtube. and remember the CMS and MMS affects the outcome as well..

Posted

I do not compete. I'd rather spend my money on tools. I build boxes for people that do compete though.

So how much port area did that box in the video have? I couldn't tell.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 362 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...