Sundown Audio

Can you run 2 amps to a common point

TRD TUNDRA

if you run to amps to the same point your are good. also if you run the grounds to the SAME point you SHOULD be good also. a ground is a ground but with that wattage it has to be a realy REALY good ground.. a common ground is .. common in audio . its a ground . i would run one from say the left side of the car and another to the right as there may different ground potential. but also just common thinking . its still a ground.. id just use a rally good bolt thats a washer under the car and one on the top tighten it down then use that as a lug for the ground or groundS.

if my ears dont buzz. you need more ..

if you run to amps to the same point your are good. also if you run the grounds to the SAME point you SHOULD be good also. a ground is a ground but with that wattage it has to be a realy REALY good ground.. a common ground is .. common in audio . its a ground . i would run one from say the left side of the car and another to the right as there may different ground potential. but also just common thinking . its still a ground.. id just use a rally good bolt thats a washer under the car and one on the top tighten it down then use that as a lug for the ground or groundS.

He is talking about running the amps speaker wire from each amp to 1 sub that is wired in parallel. Not running the amps power wire to 1 common point as if you where hooking them up to a battery.

You do this your going to blow up your amp

Speaker/sub outs from each amp cannot (with current amps) be run to the same terminals of a coil. Each amp must be run to its own coil or set of coils. When amps are strapped they may be connected to the same sets of coils but one amp is always on the input side of a coil and the other on the output side of a coil to create a "push-pull" effect.

When you run a two channel amp or a pair of amps strapped to a load each amp or channel will see half of the load because of this push-pull.

A 2 ohm load would be seen as 1 ohm effective

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Why would the minimum resistance double if the amps are on separate circuits the only thing they would share between the 2 amps would be power ground and signal sorry if I'm asking a dumb question I'm just curious

I guess what I'm asking is how would the amps strapped see .5 ohms if the output side of each amp is separate from eachother?

Because strapping a 2 of the same amplifiers together (if they are strabable) is for the most part like bridging a 2channel amplifier.

If you have a 2 channel amp that is stable at 2 ohms stereo it is to be bridged at 4ohms. When its bridged at 4ohms each channel will see 2ohms.

So when you have two 1 ohm amplifiers that can be strapped they must be done so at 2ohms, and each amplifier will split that impedance and see 1ohm.

-When you strap 2 amplifiers together you hook both the negative speaker wire outputs from amp 1 to amp 2 typically with the largest gauge wire you can fit (8awg), and you want those wires to be as short as possible (typically no longer than 16inches is recommended).

-Amp 1 becomes your Master amp, and you use the positive speaker wire outputs to go to the positive of the woofer.

-Amp 2 becomes your Slave amp, and you use that amps positive speaker wire output to go to the negative on the woofer.

-The amps are physically connected together on the negative speaker terminals.

-You only set the settings on the Master amp, and keep the gain on the Slave amp turned all the way down along with the bassboost.

Now if you wire the your dual 2 ohm woofer in parallel to make it 1 ohm, and connect that 1 ohm load to a pair of strapped amps each of those amps will see .5ohms.

There is a reason why they clearly state on their website that they are not .8ohm stable, nor .5ohm stable.

These amps are not stable at anything under 1ohm and will blow up. Steve Meade tested one on the AD-1 and it worked, not much longer he tried it on one of the new mini SMD woofers and with in a few minutes the amp was pouring smoke out of it.

These amps are not overbuilt like the Korean amplifiers that have twice the guts and cost 3times more than the CAB amplifiers.

So they will not handle no where near the same abuse.

So your only option of running 2 of these amps are 1 per coil at 2 ohms each, or wire your woofer in series for 4ohms and run a pair of them strapped at 4ohms (which is 2ohms per amp).

Both ways will yeild the same power, and chances are you wont really notice it being any louder to the ear, and maybe be 0.3db louder on a legit spl sensor.

You may get 400 watts rms more from running the 2 amps at 2 ohms each or strapped at 4 ohms.

Ok make sense now I haven't ever strapped amps so that is why I was asking I think I'll just go save a Lil cash and buy a ns1 and another zv4 and be done with that side of things. Still have to get a few more Batts only have 2 right now and stock alt so I'll tackle that next then get the amp and sub. But the married life is rough spend to much money and I'll be in trouble lol. But thanks for all the replys and helpfull info I'm glad I asked instead of just trying and blowing up 2 amps.

Archived