Second Skin Audio

3 new subs for Horn loaded box

Yes they are the BFM Tuba Ht design 24.5 inch overall. and currently 3 but i measured and 4 will fit in a toyota seqouia with all back seats out if course. port facing up. and ive only ever tested 2 in a car. i have them in my room until i turn 16 in 10 days. I will also try to post pictures. as soon as i figure out how to...

The Tuba HT, like pretty much all horns, is picky about what subs are going to work in it. Most car audio subs are not going to give you good results, they have too stiff of suspensions and too high of Fs. Also, when it comes to subwoofers, the sensitivity measurement is pretty much meaningless.

Of the subs you were considering, both the SA-15 and the B2 IS 15 have too stiff of suspensions (too low of a Vas). The PSI Platform 1 15 would be acceptable. My suggestion would be for a FI X-15. Its QTS is a little higher than ideal, but other than that is looks pretty good.

No matter what sub you choose, if you are going to be putting much more than a couple hundred watts to them, you need to set your subsonic filter to about 26 Hz or you risk damaging your subs.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Isn't one of the best things about those horns how low it plays? so you are going to set your subsonic filter to 26 hz and kill all the low end output.

Isn't one of the best things about those horns how low it plays? so you are going to set your subsonic filter to 26 hz and kill all the low end output.

They do play low, but with most subs the power handling drops off fast below 30 Hz. You can play as low as you want if you only put 200 watts to them, but if you are going to push closer to the RMS rating of the subs, you need the high pass filter to protect them from over-excursion.

If you look around BFM's website he mentions that you don't "need" more than 200 watts with one of those subs, he fails to mention what happens if you exceed that power level though. THTs are actually tuned to about 30 Hz, below that the basically function as a sealed box and rely on room gain to boost the low end.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

the smaller side of the access panel is 8 and 5/8inches and the larger side is 10 1/2inches and right where the sub mounts toward the smaller side is over 9 inches. and anways the magnet on a sub isnt the whole diameter of the sub(ie. magnet diameter isnt 15 inches) but bfm says max mounting depth is 8 inches?? is this so that the pole can habe enough space to exspell air in and out? if thats the case some subs dont even have a back pole opening. my question is can i mount a slightly larger depth sub in this box? lets say 9 inches max?

mounting depth is usually measured from the bottom of the flange so make sure when you measure you account for that depth since you are reverse mounting the sub.

Sorry, I was going to reply to this yesterday but then I forgot. ckeeler11 pretty much said what I was going to.

The total height of a sub is going to be its mounting depth plus the thickness of the mounting flange plus however much the surround sticks up above that.

Builds:

Archived