Second Skin Audio

2002 dodge ram quad cab subs?.. 2 JL TW1, TW3, or Alpine SWR-T12

There are lots of subs that will fit with 6.75" of mounting space that aren't shallow.

Shallow mount subs should really be the absolute last resort, and they shouldn't be needed for your application, unless there is some other reason I don't know about.

well yea there's another reason besides mounting depth. its the space. only 0.61 cu ft. find me a great regular sub that works at its optimum at that size. all the regular subs i've seen optimum box sizes are above 1.2 cu ft. and alot even higher than that. so those speakers would suck balls in my small enclosure. that is the reason i'm looking at shallow mounts. Maybe I'm wrong but man I've been looking at sub specs for a week now. Need some help lol.

well yea there's another reason besides mounting depth. its the space. only 0.61 cu ft. find me a great regular sub that works at its optimum at that size. all the regular subs i've seen optimum box sizes are above 1.2 cu ft. and alot even higher than that. so those speakers would suck balls in my small enclosure. that is the reason i'm looking at shallow mounts. Maybe I'm wrong but man I've been looking at sub specs for a week now. Need some help lol.

You need to understand that there isn't just one "optimum" box spec that a particular sub is going to work best in under all conditions (despite what manufacturers may say). Also, just because the box volume you have available may be what the manufacturer recommends for one sub doesn't mean that sub will perform better than another sub where your box size is outside what the manufacturer recommends.

Shallow subs #1 design priority is to be shallow, they inevitably sacrifice performance in other areas to achieve this, which is why I avoid them if at all possible. You asked for a sub that will work well is the space you have, here is a good example:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss315ho-44-12-reference-ho-dvc-subwoofer--295-467

That sub is only 5.75" deep, has more than enough Xmax and power handling to take the 500 watts a piece you want to throw at it (unlike the shallow subs you are considering), and it comes in significantly under your budget. This sub has a lower QTS and Fs, both of which are going to help it give you better low frequency output than your other choices.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

You need to understand that there isn't just one "optimum" box spec that a particular sub is going to work best in under all conditions (despite what manufacturers may say). Also, just because the box volume you have available may be what the manufacturer recommends for one sub doesn't mean that sub will perform better than another sub where your box size is outside what the manufacturer recommends.

Shallow subs #1 design priority is to be shallow, they inevitably sacrifice performance in other areas to achieve this, which is why I avoid them if at all possible. You asked for a sub that will work well is the space you have, here is a good example:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss315ho-44-12-reference-ho-dvc-subwoofer--295-467

That sub is only 5.75" deep, has more than enough Xmax and power handling to take the 500 watts a piece you want to throw at it (unlike the shallow subs you are considering), and it comes in significantly under your budget. This sub has a lower QTS and Fs, both of which are going to help it give you better low frequency output than your other choices.

But it doesn't have a JL audio sticker on it....lol.

why would sundown be any better than JL? how long has sundown been around? JL has been around for over 30 years. I just dont see any other company besides alpine really being as clear and crisp as JL. thats why i choose jl. i've heard other brands and yea they are loud maybe even louder than the similar JL but they sound like crap type of loud. JL to me is crisp and clear and clean.

i seen some people post they would choose sundown over JL any time of week? why is that? is it because JL is more expensive and they can't afford good JL;s? I'm not sure how ppl can say JL is crap. They have a better engineering facility than any other 3rd party speaker brand.

Late to the reply to this but could not pass it up.

I was just throwing out another option. You can spend your money on whatever floats your boat. Me i want the best bang for the buck and refuse to buy something because of the name. I dont think JL is crap in fact when i started to think up a system JL is what i was going buy, then i started researching. looking on forums such as this and asking questions. i found that JL, Rockford, and Alpine are the most poplar brands out there and have the largest distribution in the country. you can walk into virtually any audio shop across the country and find at least one of these brands. Does that make them the best??? Meh. Not according to MY research. there are several brands out there that offer much better products for the same price or in many cases less.

Just look on this forum, tons of hardcore enthusiasts on here that have been doing this for a long time. how many are running JL?? I dont think it is because of the money as these guys are dropping major dollars into systems with uncountable amount of hours in labor.

In short if you want to be on JL's nuts go ahead, just don't be so quick to discount something else.

Don't be mad cuz you 2 that just posted can't afford JL. Do all the research you can to save money cuz you have shit jobs and have to save all year long for one cheap no name speaker. Lol. It's all good. The real reason I never replied back is because I had already bought my speakers. I bought 2 brands.. I got kicker comps and the jl tw1's. Ran into a problem with both sets. Neither one fit in my box because of the lip about 2 inches down for mounting hole. So now it's not necessarily about the brand (which it never was just a couple idiots on here turned it into that) it's about what's going to fit in this shit speaker box. So now I have $800 in speakers to return. No biggie I can afford it. I was planning on keeping only one set. depended on which sounded betterI'll just have to keep looking til I find something that fits besides the jl wxv2 which were jl and I did not like even though they were jl. So know the facts before assuming and opening your puss mouth.

D925C268-FE43-43C4-A9DA-EF82A4EB7317_zps 3 SA-10's .6 each chamber , shit pounds, make a seat lift, these eat JL's

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

D925C268-FE43-43C4-A9DA-EF82A4EB7317_zps 3 SA-10's .6 each chamber , shit pounds, make a seat lift, these eat JL's

Maybe they do maybe they dont. What version jls.? They may eat the w0s or w1 maybe te 3,s but it stops there. Don't judge what you haven't tested and what you can't afford. Those are what fit your budget they sure are alot cheaper. Good job. Looks like shit though.

U drive an 02 Dodge Ram and act like u got all this money , Get a new truck cheap ass, buy your shit JL's and think your shit slams but will probably rattle that 14yr old shit truck apart.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

U drive an 02 Dodge Ram and act like u got all this money , Get a new truck cheap ass

Rofl there you go assuming. I have more in engine upgrades than your car cost. I have over 20 grand in my shitty truck buddy. Lol you make me laugh

Don't be mad cuz you 2 that just posted can't afford JL. Do all the research you can to save money cuz you have shit jobs and have to save all year long for one cheap no name speaker. Lol. It's all good. The real reason I never replied back is because I had already bought my speakers. I bought 2 brands.. I got kicker comps and the jl tw1's. Ran into a problem with both sets. Neither one fit in my box because of the lip about 2 inches down for mounting hole. So now it's not necessarily about the brand (which it never was just a couple idiots on here turned it into that) it's about what's going to fit in this shit speaker box. So now I have $800 in speakers to return. No biggie I can afford it. I was planning on keeping only one set. depended on which sounded betterI'll just have to keep looking til I find something that fits besides the jl wxv2 which were jl and I did not like even though they were jl. So know the facts before assuming and opening your puss mouth.

Your right. :good: :good: :good::fool: :fool: :fool:

Archived