40hz-120hz: I need 8" subs to fill this range

My Soundstream 12 is in a ported box tuned to 35hz. When you play bass test tones it really starts to get loud below 40hz. It has a few holes in the spectrum above 40, and everything up to 100 is basically missing. Before I choose component sets for the mids & highs, I want to add a pair of 8" subs mounted on my rear pillars to fill in the missing octaves. My 6.5" drivers usually start around 120hz.
Has anyone had success with a particular sub? I plan on using around .3cf/each sealed, most 8" subs tune much lower when you port them. I dont need anything below 40hz. I found a JL audio 8W1V3-4 for $130 on Crutchfield, but before I order a pair Id like to get some opinions. Is there a magic woofer that operates well in a small enclosure between 40-100hz? I will probably have a Zapco ASP-Q1 EQ/X-over unless I find something better. (I like knobs.)
The problem I am finding while researching this sector of audio reproduction is that most people who talk about 8" subs on the internet are only using them because they cannot fit anything larger, therefore most systems designed around them are attempting to pull 30hz. I need to find the most efficient setup for upper/mid bass within the physical constraints i have for space and amp size. Probably under 400 watts, and maximum .3cf box.

__________________________________________________ _______________
Current setup:
1969 Mustang
Pioneer DEH-P5100-UB
Boston Coaxials
Zapco I-Force i2100
Soundstream SPL-X122hf

Hi Carmines, thank you for asking.
The reason is simple; my sub makes crazy loud sound compared to the rest of the system. Since the box is tuned to 35hz, there is nothing making up for the missing frequencies between 120hz and 40hz. I need some fill to bring up the regular sounds that come from average music, since I cannot handle driving around listening to bass tracks all day long. I still turn on regular songs that play regular music, which normally do not operate well under 60hz.
I know what to do with the sub bass levels, and the mid/upper levels. This time I want to develop my system to sound decent in all of the frequency ranges, balanced to recreate live recordings and modern music such as jazz or house.
Actually, I really want two 8" drivers in my rear pillars for the look of it. I can mount any sub in my rear deck, but my 12" box with its 3cf footprint will take up a decent portion of my trunk even without a 1 or 2cf box under the rear deck to accomodate mid base drivers. Many comp systems incorporate 8" or 10" drivers with their massive subwoofers & mid/high setups. Im attempting to do the same thing so I can reach all the octaves without sacrificing my deep bass capability. I dont want to redesign the 12" chamber since I will have it crossed over at around 40hz.
Any suggestions for a dual 8" setup? I will be using Zapco ASP-Q1 to source equalization and analog volume controls. :shok:

Also, for the meantime I will probably move my 350w monoblock Zapco I-force i2100 over to power the 8" midbass. Its 10 years old but still kicks like a newborn. After the car is finished and "restored", I might at that point purchase a complete matching set of amplifiers for the entire system. Right now its all craigslist and garage jewels. Too much money is going into the new tranny & rear end B)

RF p2 8's. they work great. so do the shallow p3 8's. yes both can be done in a door. yes there are several people here using them for mid bass

These are pricey but fit the bill...

Carmines - Im a huge fan of JL Audio, my first thought was to pick up a pair. The one you suggested wants .75cf sealed, Im down in the .3cf range max. JL does offer 8"s that will work but I havent found anybody who has used them. Also, they are in their less expensive range, somewhere around $130 so Im guessing they might not perform as well as something like the ZR800-CW

In many cases you can take a sub that functions well at 30hz in a .75cf chamber and if you put it in a much smaller chamber it loses its deep efficiency, operating only in a much higher range. The problem with that is the guessing game, which Im not willing to risk. I would rather buy speakers that operate where I want them to. I think I might like the fosgates that Smoove recomended, I just want to see what other people have done in this situation

By the way, thank you for the recomendation!

Archived