Second Skin Audio

NVX VCW 124 Long term testing update

Some of you might know I was given an NVX VCW 124 from the awesome guys at SonicElectronix as one of the cool contests that happen here at SMD. Some of you migh be wondering whatever happened to that sub?

Well I still have that sub and was planning to use it in my build I am slowly working on as part of a mild SQ setup. I finally got around to starting to do the install and testing and tuning and have run in to some issues with the sub. Which hopefully are a fluke and can be addressed. The design I chose for the box was on the large size 2.75 cubes tuned to 34hz with around 34 ^ 2 of port area. The sub suspension and coil have held up pretty good but where the problem lies in my opinion is the adhesive NVX uses. The sub started to sound like it was unloading or bottoming out when testing in the box. So I took it out to do some free air testing.

The test was performed using the DD tone generator my JVC headunit and a Rockford P1000X1D with the coils wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load. The voltage strong during the entire test 14.4-14.2 volts very little to no voltage drop during the test. I was puzzled at first as their was no coil rub and the coils did not appear to be black. Then I took a closer look at the dust cap. ah ha it's just the dust cap coming off a simple and easy fix or so I thought. After removing the dust cap and further testing the motor noise still remains and it looks like the same adhesive may have been used for the triple joint. I just wanted to share my findings and I am kinda bummed but still thankful to have been able to test this sub.

1DA9E649-E070-454D-87D1-4360B4F12522_zps

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Can't really see any visible damage I'm thinking the bottom spider is coming off the coil

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Not sure if you can hear it in this video

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0