Searching for mechless head unit

Long time no see forums. I had been so happy with my setup in my Jetta for so long that I have fallen off the face of the car audio world. Well, My little brother is on his way to buy my Jetta, and I should be getting my S10 Blazer back from the mechanic in a matter of weeks with a fresh v8 drivetrain, and I need a head unit to start my next build.

So I have been doing some research, and it seems like the receiver market is not as hot as it once was, and I am limited to 1 choice by each brand if I stick with the mechless option. The primary reason for going mechless is that I will be in a 1st Gen S10 Blazer with an incredibly shallow hole, a poorly designed interior, and a prioritized budget. I know I should go double din out of the gate to get the best options, but I can't afford that step at this point as it is not as important as a decently powered v8 installed correctly.

Has anyone had any luck with the options that are out there? Sticking with the brand names I am comfortable with these are the options I have found:

Clarion FZ105BT

Pioneer MVH-X380BT

Kenwood KMM-BT315U

JVC KD-X330BTS

Alpine UTE-52BT

I believe all of these are capable of providing what I need and are also shallow enough to fit in the factory opening without any modification besides a standard dash kit.

I will likely add a processor before I go the double din or ipad route, but really don't want to waste $ on crap in the mean time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Toby

Check out Sony they have a top of the line model that is sweet.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158RSXGS9/Sony-RSX-GS9.html

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

i install the JVC 330 quite a bit. I personally have a JVC 320. I've been getting a lot of people interested in the Kenwood 315. I just recently got the 515 in stock, for a media unit it's pretty bad awesome. 3 sets of RCA outputs at 4v. the JVC 330 has 4v too but it's only 2 sets.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

That sony unit looks nice, but for that $ I would go with an iPad install.

The Kenwood 515 is a full frame unit. Those fit in First Gen S10s, but only with the extension that brings it out 1.5 inches, and it is still tight in the back.

How important is it to have 4v pre-outs? I currently plan on running Sundown amplifiers because they have done so well for me for the past 4+ years.

Also just found the Pioneer MVH-X560BT. It looks like it might fit the bill the best, because it has a rear mounted USB and AUX to help unclutter the front and have a better display. Still only 2v preamps but 6 channel at least. Would a line driver like the AudioControl Matrix help or would there really be any difference?

Loving how cheap these mechless units are. I am just hoping they aren't garbage.

Archived