Second Skin Audio

First build, Need advice

Aeisuhr

Just thought of this if its being built inside to the maximum area in the back how do you securly screw/nail all the sides together or just a bunch of L brackets? or maybe 1x1's inside the joints?

Use a Kregg's Jig

+1 the Kreg jig is sweet.

ok so, i got all the stuff needed today, and was thinking, not sure but iv seen alot of people say that these work best in 1.5-2ft^3 this box design would put me at 1.25per. is there any good way to if removing back seats as well. extend the bottom back portion of the box into the trunk to gain airspace? didnt know how this would work since the top subs would have less distance from the back wall of the box then the bottoms. the idea came from nowhere but dont want to hate myself later if it would work better with the good airspace but didnt do it.

Not really, pushing out the back of the box would be adding volume to the port because it's a common wall slot port. 1.25ft^3 is as good as you're gonna get for the dimensions listed. The only way to gain volume would be to just make a legit wall. Until you do that you won't be happy with output because you are trying to get walled performance out of an enclosure that isn't sealed off inside the vehicle.

just theoretical but does a true wall have a better inpact on sound vs a large enclosure of the same volume? im going to think hard and might just do the wall itself if after the sides and back are done somone can help me with designing the front and port

just theoretical but does a true wall have a better inpact on sound vs a large enclosure of the same volume? im going to think hard and might just do the wall itself if after the sides and back are done somone can help me with designing the front and port

When you build a wall the output increases dramatically. Not necessarily because the enclosure is putting out more sound but because when you seal off the wall from the rear of your vehicle you decrease the internal volume of your car's interior by a huge amount, which gives you more cabin gain. That's why you see these monster ground pounders (enclosure in hatchback) doing a 154 while a walled build with the same amount of drivers and power can do a 160.

• 2 weeks later...

ok new deal my brother convinced me to sell him the subs for 150 off as a birthday present for his wife. so im starting over a bit, i now have 2 sheets of 3/4 in mdf and roughly 2400 watts rms. whats the loudest i can get with say 400 just for subs? if i use the same box design as above i have basicly 5ft^3 would 2 do good or better then 4 of something cheaper in a box smaller then it should be. basicly 2 12s with 2.5 each or 4 with 1.25

what subs do you think, im more wanting spl as im not really as conserned with sq but dont want it to sound bad i like the feeling and shaking of loud over quality tho.

ok new deal my brother convinced me to sell him the subs for 150 off as a birthday present for his wife. so im starting over a bit, i now have 2 sheets of 3/4 in mdf and roughly 2400 watts rms. whats the loudest i can get with say 400 just for subs? if i use the same box design as above i have basicly 5ft^3 would 2 do good or better then 4 of something cheaper in a box smaller then it should be. basicly 2 12s with 2.5 each or 4 with 1.25

what subs do you think, im more wanting spl as im not really as conserned with sq but dont want it to sound bad i like the feeling and shaking of loud over quality tho.

If you're looking at two twelves for under $400 you could always check out the IS12's from B2. Two of them could easily take 2000w RMS output and I wouldn't be shocked if they could take 2400 no problem. 2.5 each maybe on the bit large side depending on the specs of the box but someone with more experience could more accurately answer that question.

Product link: http://www.b2audio.com/is

Sales link: http://b2audiostore.net/collections/subwoofer/products/copy-of-is-12v2-subwoofer

Please, by all means, shop around and find what's right for you but go ahead and check them out. They make great products that sound good and are built to take a major beating and still perform perfectly.

Archived