Second Skin Audio

New just for fun box idea, 12 12s

Hey thanks man, I was curious to see how it would theoretically perform. I was always under the impression that this particular design wasn't super efficient. I just assumed that the guys that ran boxes like these pretty much got loud purely by cone area and air movement. So do the cones being in the port have a big effect on the port velocity and general air flow of the port? I always wondered if the subs would create some sort of air turbulence or sound wave disruption.

Would the high port velocities coming from those types of enclosures (ones where the subs fire into the port) be the reason why the build are so "windy".

Would the high port velocities coming from those types of enclosures (ones where the subs fire into the port) be the reason why the build are so "windy".

Depends on what you are considering "windy". Port velocity will be higher, so there will be more air movement in front of the port, but that doesn't corrolate to more air movement other places (hair tricks, etc).

Here is a comparison between the tunnel box and the regular ported box of similar specs:

badKxG9.png

The dark line is the tunnel box and the light grey line is the regular ported box. Both have 620 sq in of port area. Both having higher port velocities than what I like the see, but the tunnel box is significantly higher.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived